Is my car overpriced?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Jason7504, Aug 7, 2021.

Is my car's listing price too high as is?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Jason7504

Jason7504 Veteran Member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

It might be. Paint and body matter. And a parts list doesn't equate to price, we all know that. That car with good body and paint but a stock drivetrain is probably worth more, if that makes sense.

However it sure seems like a good car with a lot going for it. If you find the right buyer you might get close to that price. Depends how fast you want it gone. I'm sure you're advertising it in places other than here, that will help. Imo it's a good starting point, but you probably need a number in your head you'll accept.

Just my $0.02 since you asked.

La.Z8 and Jason7504 like this.
  3. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

yes

the problem that is LOOKS like a $5000 car

the mods are awesome but even if an ugly girl is awesome in the sack she'll get ignored by all the guys

RMTZ28, La.Z8, 1980RS and 2 others like this.
  4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Side note, how do you like the pro wheels (boost model?)? What did they run you? (Feel free to pm me)

5. Jason7504

Jason7504 Veteran Member

Makes sense. Yeah I know looks matter a lot but I'm trying to see if I can sell it "as-is" before I need to paint it since that will cost more and take time. Its definitely a beast but if it doesn't sell for the price in my head then I'll try painting it.

6. Jason7504

Jason7504 Veteran Member

Yes, that's what I was afraid of when posting it before paint. People see a POS based on first impressions before even feeling the power. Just don't want to paint it and not at least break even on it

7. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

another problem you'll run into is that car has great parts and build but it's going to appeal to a very limited pool of potential buyers. stock type seats, remove the roll bar and add AC would probably open up the appeal to more buyers.
    The whole paint thing is a problem too, do a cheap paint job and a serious buyer might notice and wonder what other short cuts were taken, have a full blown color change professional 10 to 12k paint job, does it add that much to the price? And how's the rest of the trim, weatherstripping, glass etc look? nothing like 40 year old trim and scratched glass next to a new paint job.

Jason7504 likes this.
  8. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

You dont list low and thats a fact. I added over 5000 to my price I wanted. Everyone wants a deal and gotta give some room to make it. Offers are welcome is what you end it with. It took me 5 months to sell mine and yes its true dont expect to get what you got into it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    Jason7504 likes this.
  9. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I consider the HOT ROD RULE. If it cost you $10,000 to build expect to sell if for about $6000. YOUR time and effort are worth -$$$$ then YOU actually used it...another deduction. Just the way it has always seemed to be for me. Spend $12000 on a new powertrain/tranny/diff to make the car fun ...net result added about $5000 to the car value at sale time. Added 500% value to FUN METER.
    Definately a niche market for your ride as it will take somebody looking to PURCHASE a car like yours instead of building one. Agree the cage, seats and NO AC will be detractors for someone on the fence...

La.Z8 and Jason7504 like this.
  10. xten

xten Veteran Member

What we think about value doesn't matter at this point. If you're selling a car, now's the time. Prices are crazy. I was offered 10-12K over what I thought mine is worth

Jason7504 and BonzoHansen like this.