Is my car overpriced?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Jason7504, Aug 7, 2021.

Is my car's listing price too high as is?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

No offers its only been a few days and your markets small. its a cool car some one will buy it, might be a bit but gives ya time to think and save up

Jason7504 likes this.
  2. RMTZ28

RMTZ28 Veteran Member

Hows the body? A wrap is waaay cheaper than paint...then bump it up to 22/$23,000

3. Jason7504

Jason7504 Veteran Member

It's a little rough. Some dents and some panel gaps. I'm not sure how much that is for a wrap but I've heard it's similar especially if you need body work

4. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

The price of a wrap will almost be the same as a paint job

Jason7504 likes this.
  5. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

You can do a wrap for about $4k, I don't think you can do paint for that

RMTZ28 likes this.
  6. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Go MAACO!

Jason7504 likes this.
  7. Patstuff28

Patstuff28 Veteran Member

A lot of people joke about MAACO. I took my 1980 Camaro there for paint. It was very straight to start with. I told the manager that I wanted a top notch job within my budget. I told him that I was in no hurry and to do the job properly. If he had collision repairs etc. to put my car to the side. I checked on my car frequently to document the progress. About 8 weeks later they called and told me it was ready. I called my insurance appraiser to look at the car to bump up the value. He was very surprised when I told him who painted it. He thought that they only did quickie jobs.

Jason7504 likes this.
  8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

maaco is a franchise. you might get a good job you might get fingerpaint. you used to have one of each of those around here lol

Still need to fix the dents first.

Jason7504 likes this.
  9. SEADave

SEADave New Member

I'm here in the northwest and saw your ad in my usual perusal of Craigslist. Very cool car, but unfortunately I agree that your price is a little ambitious, even in this COVID time when everything seems to be going for a premium. I think the issues have been hit upon already but the rough appearance, cage, lack of AC, aftermarket seats all scream "track rat" which doesn't translate into $$$. Another issue is that your starting point was an 81 base model which is kinda unloved. If it was a Z28 or an earlier car it would be a much easier sell.

There are two types of buyers in this area. Tech bros who have money and like shiny fancy toys or cheapskates like me who only buy if they know they are paying less than it would cost to replicate. If you convert to Z28 appearance and paint it (nice but not perfect) you could sell at your asking price to one of the tech bros. As-is you will have to sell to someone like me, in which case expect to get about $10-14k.

Jason7504 likes this.
  10. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

I know you just listed your car, but give it some time. Barely been a week if not less. I think you wanted to buy something in the spring, so you have at least six months. If you don't get any offers in the first few months, then perhaps lower the price a little but still be above your dead set amount so you still have some flexibility. If it were me (besides not selling it), I wouldn't bother with the paint or body work. Let the buyer worry about it. They may want a certain color anyway. The buyer will be buying the car for the work done to it, not what it looks like IMHO. GLWS

Jason7504 likes this.