Is there a better way than jacking up your car to work under it?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by slayer021175666, Jan 13, 2021.

1. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Death pits lol

2. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

So don't invite anyone else to use it and exercise the slightest of caution and job done. I don't understand how it's a bad idea because some people can't use them properly or the government had decided they are unsafe?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Heavier than air, such as carbon monoxide, will accumulate. Pits do have their place, like in fast lube places where there is a disciplined crew, but really not in your house. There are caveats for everything though.

4. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 Veteran Member Gold Member

If you dig a hole something will fall in. Go to page 1 where I tell about a service station blew up because of fumes collecting in a grease pit. In the late 70's Kimberly-Clark producer of paper products ordered the removal of any thing that even resembled a grease pit because of explosion at a mill because propane collected in a grease pit, in any of it's mills world wide

BonzoHansen likes this.
  5. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Hmm....wonder if the basement in my house falls under the grease pit category.

WILLIAM FLYNN and 75Maro like this.
  6. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Hey man, we're obviously becoming entrenched in our opinions, and I think we're hijacking this thread a bit so I'm going to stop here. However, there were probably hundreds of thousands of grease pits in use across North America at one time or another. Even with the traditional grease pit falling out of use in favour of hoists, there are still likely thousands of pits. How many of them are still probably in use? Again, likely thousands. I can think of at least 3, personally. How many of those have exploded? Well, one, I guess, as suggested in this thread. I'm sure if one looks hard enough, one might find a few more of explosions or asphyxiations. Maybe. Out of thousands still used everyday. On top of that, I would suggest 100% of those problems you'd find would have been 100% preventable with the slightest of effort.

Life is a lot less enjoyable if we choose to live in fear of what might happen because it might have happened to someone else. If I was to put a grease pit into my garage, the odds of something happening to me because of it are astoundingly low, and even lower with basic precautions.

WILLIAM FLYNN and biker like this.
  7. Bentley

Bentley Veteran Member

Assuredly many more lifts have failed and destroyed vehicles and hurt people... Just saying, cause I would LOVE to have one at my house

8. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I agree we have our own opinions on this,built on life's experience. I can not change anybody's mind that is make up, only give advice to someone who is thinking of building one, who is reading these post

BonzoHansen likes this.
  9. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

To try and put a grease pit into my shop, I would have to jack hammer out a large area of the existing concrete floor, then dig out around 15 cubic yards of gravel and dirt. Then I'd have to pour a new floor and four walls.

At this time, I'd have already paid for a lift.

So what's the purpose of putting a grease pit in my personal shop?

10. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

A hoist is great if you have the overhead space. Lots don't.