Is there a better way than jacking up your car to work under it?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by slayer021175666, Jan 13, 2021.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Maybe add a fan? Keeping the air moving bound to help with heavy fumes finding the low place to congregate. Adding a CO2 or carbon monoxide monitor might help with unknowingly working in heavy concentrations of carbon monoxide. Adding a rail at each side to keep a tire from accidentally slipping off the edge. Adding a top that can support a heavy load when not in use to keep someone from accidentally walking off into it. Adding some cave-in protection might be a good idea too.....there are lots of common sense things that can be done to make a pit safer. My grandpa had one we all used as kids to work under the car. I remember leaning out of the window trying to make sure the front tire was positioned okay while pulling in.

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

^^cave-in protection might be a good idea? lol

I've used a pit. No thanks. I guess they are good for some fluid changes.

3. Bentley

Bentley Veteran Member

Local chevy dealer here (Stingray in Plant City, FL ) has a pit for the "complimentary" oil changes they offer.. It has to be about 4 car length's long... It has some metal panels that are not quite flush with the top, that slide out of the way when working in one area of the pit..... I think they would support a car.... Not a bad idea " I was thinking" when I looked at it the other day...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    WILLIAM FLYNN likes this.
  4. 2ndOwner78

2ndOwner78 Veteran Member

We had a grease pit growing up on the farm. But it was in the dedicated shop, not connected to a house. It was put in during the initial construction, no added later. We kept it covered when not in use and it was very useful.

The one drawback was in the spring thaw when a good foot of water would seep in, that only happened when I HAD to use it for something though. :)

Farmers probably do a lot of "stupid" things in some peoples opinion but for the most part they have common sense and build in basic safety procedures. They are in more dangerous situations than most people deal with on the daily so it is top of mind. It becomes second nature to know how to behave around PTO shafts, dangerous chemicals with fumes that kill, working in and on massive machinery and of course where you should and shouldn't place your head around large animals.... :)

Bentley likes this.
  5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Why did you guys make them rectangles and not squares at 16x16?

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

I came up with this size to fit the tire. I am sure 16X16 would have worked out just as well.
    123516194_1307894409549675_556194807393870753_o.jpg

7. WILLIAM FLYNN

WILLIAM FLYNN Member

2015 i had to lay 2 2x12s down drive on and than jack it up pia

8. Robinator

Robinator New Member

845E224F-BBB9-4EC5-ADF1-85C70F4D6362.png
    Someone who tried this type of ramp?

9. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

Had the front tires on ramps. Axle on jack stands. Okay, time to lower car. Placed jack under rear differential and up it goes. Pulled both stands out from under axle tube and then the car starts rolling backwards off the ramps. Car pushing the jack while I'm behind/under it on my knee's. Glad it wasn't close to the garage door or it could have gotten ugly. Lesson here? Block the front tires on the ramps if you decide to do this.

10. Robinator

Robinator New Member

Ok, then i will look for another option. These looked good cause of the built in jack in the ramp.
    But i was a littlebit sceptical. Thanks!