Is there a better way than jacking up your car to work under it?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by slayer021175666, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Sorry man, I actually got this years ago and I don't remember.
    I tried looking for any Part # that might have been stamped on the unit but there's nothing.

Only info was where it was made (Made in Canada), the weight capacity (6500 lbs. in pairs) and the warning instruction.

20210909_085555.jpg

2. Brett Liukkonen

Brett Liukkonen New Member

It's the wife's project. With that said, it's worth more than any of the other cars as that is my ticket to being able to build the other cars. As long as we are making progress on that, there are no issues! Lol, gotta keep things balanced.

berg2695 and Bentley like this.
  3. Patstuff28

Patstuff28 Veteran Member

That must be really old. We have very little manufacturing left in Canada. It all went to China or Mexico.

4. Chris Greenley

Chris Greenley New Member

Thay won't work at all for 2nd gen so you need to sell them to me lol
    I'm sure you figured something out by now love peace and Camaro grease

5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm using Quick Jacks on my 79 - but I have sub frame connectors, so I have a solid point to lift. I also trimmed some 4x6" wood pieces to fit into pockets on the quick jack lift arms, they're more stable than the rubber blocks. I have lifted from the rocker panels without issue. It gave me a wider area to work under the car, but sub frame lift seems more stable.
    In spite of what one member posted, you can not lift at the pinch welds with the supplied blocks. Slots in the rubber blocks are cut 5/8" deep and my pinch welds measure 7/8" deep. Plus, there are brake a gas lines running along side of the pinch welds. I'm going to try putting a step notch into some blocks, see if I can clear the pinch welds and lines, just haven't gotten around to this yet.

Bills69 likes this.
  6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I have jacked one whole side up on the 2nd Gen subframe. No connectors. Both front and rear wheels off the ground. I also have seen people use the pinch welds on the rocker and caused severe damage. One in particular was a 30th Anniversary Trans Am. It was a service writers car. Popped the front fenders off the mount on the bottom. Bent the welds. There was holy Hell to pay. Guess who had to fix it.

7. Bills69

Bills69 Veteran Member

my lift points are the sub frame and rear spring eye

8. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

lower.jpg

Chris Greenley and MChamp like this.
  9. DennisG

DennisG Member

I will suggest two terrible ways never to be used.
    1. I put a car up on a stack of wheels. It was about 3 feet up and came down really fast when it fell off the wheels.
    2. There is a photo of a car propped up 4 feet on one side with two 2x4's.

Something that did work for me, was to lift the car over onto its side with a fork lift. It is only for cars with the body removed from the frame but I was welding the frame and it worked for that...but it was jacking up just the frame and running gear.