Is there a better way than jacking up your car to work under it?

Jodi

Veteran Member
May 22, 2019
Where did you get these? Part # or brand name? Thank you

Sorry man, I actually got this years ago and I don't remember.
I tried looking for any Part # that might have been stamped on the unit but there's nothing.

Only info was where it was made (Made in Canada), the weight capacity (6500 lbs. in pairs) and the warning instruction.

20210909_085555.jpg

Brett Liukkonen

Oct 24, 2017
You dont have 3 cars in a 2 car garage, you have 2 cars and a piece of crap... HAHAHA get rid of that Ford.
It's the wife's project. With that said, it's worth more than any of the other cars as that is my ticket to being able to build the other cars. As long as we are making progress on that, there are no issues! Lol, gotta keep things balanced.

Patstuff28

Veteran Member
Aug 23, 2020
Sorry man, I actually got this years ago and I don't remember.
I tried looking for any Part # that might have been stamped on the unit but there's nothing.

Only info was where it was made (Made in Canada), the weight capacity (6500 lbs. in pairs) and the warning instruction.

View attachment 126212
That must be really old. We have very little manufacturing left in Canada. It all went to China or Mexico.

Dec 15, 2020
Is there a good location on 2nd gens to place “quick jacks”.

I don’t think you want to use them under the rocker panels and the subframe isn’t a continuous rail that runs back far enough for a good balance of the front and rear weight of the car... Is it?

I’m thinking they would work better on a full frame vehicle.

I guess the real question is...
Has anyone here successfully used Quick Jacks on a 2nd gen?

Thay won't work at all for 2nd gen so you need to sell them to me lol
I'm sure you figured something out by now love peace and Camaro grease

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
I'm using Quick Jacks on my 79 - but I have sub frame connectors, so I have a solid point to lift. I also trimmed some 4x6" wood pieces to fit into pockets on the quick jack lift arms, they're more stable than the rubber blocks. I have lifted from the rocker panels without issue. It gave me a wider area to work under the car, but sub frame lift seems more stable.
In spite of what one member posted, you can not lift at the pinch welds with the supplied blocks. Slots in the rubber blocks are cut 5/8" deep and my pinch welds measure 7/8" deep. Plus, there are brake a gas lines running along side of the pinch welds. I'm going to try putting a step notch into some blocks, see if I can clear the pinch welds and lines, just haven't gotten around to this yet.

budro6968

Veteran Member
Apr 2, 2016
Jax Florida
I have jacked one whole side up on the 2nd Gen subframe. No connectors. Both front and rear wheels off the ground. I also have seen people use the pinch welds on the rocker and caused severe damage. One in particular was a 30th Anniversary Trans Am. It was a service writers car. Popped the front fenders off the mount on the bottom. Bent the welds. There was holy Hell to pay. Guess who had to fix it.

DennisG

Dec 26, 2016
I will suggest two terrible ways never to be used.
1. I put a car up on a stack of wheels. It was about 3 feet up and came down really fast when it fell off the wheels.
2. There is a photo of a car propped up 4 feet on one side with two 2x4's.

Something that did work for me, was to lift the car over onto its side with a fork lift. It is only for cars with the body removed from the frame but I was welding the frame and it worked for that...but it was jacking up just the frame and running gear.

Gamma454

Jan 1, 2022
The lift by itself will get you to 17.5". Using the optional pinch weld blocks by themselves you can add about an 1". I typically use the pinch weld blocks along with either the 2 or 3" blocks - that will add 2 or 3" to that. It's super stable even with the second set of blocks in use.

If you use the included blocks, you'll already be high enough to drop the tranny. I wouldn't try putting anything under the lift.

The blocks I'm talking about are in the lower left hand corner in the kit photo below:

Setup-QuickJack-Portable-Car-Lift.jpg
I just got a quick jack kit as a gift. There are no problems using the blocks under pinch welds along the rocker?