Is there a better way than jacking up your car to work under it?

Quazit

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Feb 23, 2021
Dallas, North Carolina
My pinch welds were crushed from the last person who owned it because they tried jacking it up from there
that was not a fun thing to fix
These cars have front frames, torque boxes, and a solid rear axels, all easy to get to, just use those.
Same here. Pinch welds buggered up and folded over by the front wells. Also crushed the fuel lines on the passenger side. Neither are fun fixes.

Buddy of mine gets old steel wheels from the salvage yard and welds the jackstands to them. I have ramps, 3 ton and 6 ton jackstands and a quick jack and regular jack, but also intend on making the 2x4 lifts soon to get more (safe) height.

I thought about using the polymer decking material they sell at lowes to make them, Ignoring the expense, seems like they would be more stable over time and never need replacing.

grzewnicki

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 9, 2009
Gordon from Jacksonville Fl
I thought about using the polymer decking material they sell at lowes to make them, Ignoring the expense, seems like they would be more stable over time and never need replacing.
Look on Facebook marketplace, I see people selling plastic decking material or giving it away for free quite often. Are you planning on keeping the cribs outside? Pressure treated 2 x4 would be ok if you were, otherwise standard 2 x 4 material is going to last a long time. I actually made some short cribs, just 2 short pieces of 4 x 4 stuck together to put under front wheels when working on engine bay, gets the car at a better height so I am not leaning over and down. I keep my cribs in the attic to save space in the garage.

Quazit

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Feb 23, 2021
Dallas, North Carolina
Look on Facebook marketplace, I see people selling plastic decking material or giving it away for free quite often. Are you planning on keeping the cribs outside? Pressure treated 2 x4 would be ok if you were, otherwise standard 2 x 4 material is going to last a long time. I actually made some short cribs, just 2 short pieces of 4 x 4 stuck together to put under front wheels when working on engine bay, gets the car at a better height so I am not leaning over and down. I keep my cribs in the attic to save space in the garage.
If the treated lumber lasts that long, then I won't worry about that decking material. I just figured the wood might not last as long.

I was going to make them to drop my transmission, but I will need the room to get under there to redo my rear end anyway so why not have them I guess.

scudzuki

Jul 14, 2021
I have Quickjacks and I like the system quite a bit. Have had my 69 Camaro Vert and Infiniti G37X (supercharger, brakes, suspension, exhaust) up on the QJ several times each. I use the pinch weld blocks where required. I feel much safer under the QJ than up on jack stands.

grr456

Jul 12, 2015
Troy, Mi
I have a set of Quick Jacks and use them all of the time. They do sell rubber blocks with pinchweld slots machined in them, but a 4x4 with slots cut into them work very well, for about 1/10th the price.

DSC_4713.JPG

Nextep

Mar 28, 2011
Near Philadelphia, PA
Like many others, I built four beefy wooden boxes, one for each wheel. I used a 3/4" plywood box with a 4x4" vertical post on each corner and added gummy urethane pads on the bottom so that they didn't slide. My only trick was four matching, removeable wooden ramps (with urethane pads on the bottom, 3M Stair Tread Tape on the top, and two metal mending straps on each ramp to temporarily screw it to the box). Then: (a) put a ramp in front of each tire, (b) pull the car forward with a Come Along until the car is about half way up the ramp, (c) attach the four boxes to the ramps, (d) pull the car onto the boxes, (e) chock all tires on the boxes, and (f) remove the ramps. I used this Home Depot solution to lift an '87 Caprice police cruiser, so a Z28 is easy-peasy. DO NOT try to drive the car up the ramps.

DennisG

Dec 26, 2016
I once put a triumph spitfire up on wheel stacks. The car suddenly suffered an attack of gravity coming down with a thud. I was not yet under it. Whatever I wanted to do was no longer important. Be careful. I never did that again.

Latest posts