Is there a better way than jacking up your car to work under it?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by slayer021175666, Jan 13, 2021.

1. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Yes. There are jack points on the subframe. You can use a piece of wood to help. Kinda like the way NASCAR lifts the whole side.

slayer021175666 likes this.
  2. DennisG

DennisG Member

The best thing for working "under" a car is a dual hoop affair that goes around the body in two places an electric drill powers it rotating the car as a rotissery would. You don't have to work under the car at all. I saw it demonstrated at a swapmeet 3 years ago.

3. Bills69

Bills69 Veteran Member

I did a full exhaust , replaced manual trans with quickjack

slayer021175666 likes this.
  4. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

For DECADES we worked off ramps, jack stands, rims, blocks. etc.

in 2005, my wife said, "this is going to probably be my last bonus check as I feel they are going to screw us out of them after this year. So what do you want to buy with it?" The first words out of my mouth were a two post lift!

I had been wish booking lifts and going to garage sales (used ones were TOO EXPENNSIVE for what they were). I really liked the people at Greg Smith equipment and they had a 10,000# two post overhead track asymmetrical lift on sale for $2,000 shipped. Atlas 2 Post Overhead Lift Comparison Guide | GSES (gregsmithequipment.com)

The rest, as they say, is history.

Attached Files:

1978 Z/28 and BonzoHansen like this.
  5. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

[​IMG]

The beauty of my lift is that it fits under a 10' ceiling BUT has bolts in the uprights that allow it to ne raised another 18". So last year when we were residing the house and painting the garage, I had the contractor cut the trusses and reinforce the trusses so that I can put my lift up to it's full height!

Note the four bolts on the face of the lift about 2/3 the way up. They are at the lowest position now but when I get feeling better they are going up!

6. Phil!

Phil! Member

I also have a regular small garage where you can change the light bulbs by standing on your tippytoes, a cisor jack works beautifully even if I can't raise it all the way. So quick and easy that l'm mad I didn't borrow for it way before!
    I did lay a 2x12 on each side to drive on to help with clearance on some cars . Painless.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  7. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

9D51EE57-EC4F-42F4-AA63-709C4C83BD39.jpeg I think a ramp like this would be great if you didn’t have enough room for a hoist. Drive up on it and it levels out when your weight goes beyond the pivot point

RMTZ28 and slayer021175666 like this.
  8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Now bad. 10’ 7/8” overall column height - still not short, still only a car going up 1/2 way if you have short ceilings. Still floor issues. If that lift barely fits then its not much more useful than a maxjack.

10. Brett Liukkonen

Brett Liukkonen New Member

I used a variety of methods over the years from Jack Stands to Ramps to Blocks, but was never happy with any of them. I looked at all the various low-rise solutions but dreamed about a full 4 post lift (was also looking for a car storage solution) and was always scanning and searching all the local ads and was fortunate enough to find a BendPak on CL. ($1500) I double checked all my measurements from their website and it was going to be super tight, but possible. It ended up being a few years old, so the height of the posts was 6" shorter than I had expected which made all the difference with the Garage door when in the open position. But I made it fit and have 3 cars in a 2 car garage. I have all the bikes hung from the ceiling, and overhead storage above the Garage door and along the ceiling on one wall and an industrial Shelving unit on the other side. (Plus 3 engines and a 4 speed tranny.) This is a great thread that shows you there is typically a solution for almost every space. Sometimes you just have to be very creative with the space and budget you have.

Overhead Storage.jpg IMG_1028.JPG IMG_1026.JPG IMG_1023.JPG IMG_1024.JPG