Is there a better way than jacking up your car to work under it?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by slayer021175666, Jan 13, 2021.

1. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Do you guys think it would be okay to pick it up by the pinch welds as long as you had those slotted blocks? Another thing is, what about just making some out of pieces of 4 x 4 with a slot cut into them?

2. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and don't claim to be an engineer...

The problem I see with that idea is that you would need to lift both sides at the same time to safely accomplish that. If you were only raising one side at a time, the pinch weld on that side would have a huge amount of pressure applied at an angle which would cause the pinch weld to distort. Then when you go to the other side, the slot would not line up allowing the pinch weld to drip into that slot.

If you tried to use two floor jacks and with two people attempting to lift both sides at the same time, the positioning of the floor jacks would be critical. If you aren't both at the precise center of weight distribution, the car would start to tilt to either the front or the rear (think of a teeter-totter with two different sized kids). It might work with 4 floor jacks and 4 people...

The quick jack works with the pinch weld blocks because the car remains level as it's lifted, just like a convention 2 or 4 post lift.

3. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

I think you might be overthinking it a little - remember, most newer vehicles use the pinch welds as jack points - they're pretty strong, provided the sill isn't rusted out, or the flange isn't already bent (from someone jacking up on it without using some kind of slotted apparatus.

That all said, as a former BIW engineer, I would expect we're probably missing at least one metal thickness in our pinch flanges compared to vehicles these days. Usually the pinch flange - at least near the designated jacking points - is a 3T situation (three metal thicknesses), and one of those nowadays is going to be some form of high-strength steel.

I haven't taken a look at the pinch flanges on my '81 to see how many metal thicknesses we're talking about there - but up until now, I've always jacked the front up via the subframe.

4. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

The pinch welds were bent to hell on my car by some other moron jacking it up that way....wouldn't recommend it

5. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Probably because they didn't use something slotted to keep it from bending. They're strong when you jack up vertically on the edge of the pinch flange - once they're bent/crumpled, all that strength goes away.

6. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

I still wonder if just a piece of 4x4 with a slot cut in it would do. Those pinch weld blocks from Quickjack are 80 frickin bucks! Seems quite steep for 4 blocks of plastic or rubber or whatever they are.

7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

wood splits, i would not. I will be buying the proper blocks. although i do not think will be picking the camaros up at the pinch welds.

Knuckle Dragger likes this.
  8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

They are very HD urethane rubber. Very solid. They work. They will last a lifetime.

9. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

if you only want the 5000 version that s a nice buy. with hangers and the PW blocks.