Is this bad?

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
"Planned obsolescence" is what that is. :(

Even if you painted and filled those bracket pockets with grease... Water, sand and SALT will sit there and slowly eat away those bolts.

It's like the engineer who designed it was getting a kick-back on the parts!

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ
"Planned obsolescence" is what that is. :(

Even if you painted and filled those bracket pockets with grease... Water, sand and SALT will sit there and slowly eat away those bolts.

It's like the engineer who designed it was getting a kick-back on the parts!
The lower brackets are little buckets. Strange the way only the inner back bolts rotted. The front bolts looked great.

grzewnicki

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 9, 2009
Gordon from Jacksonville Fl
After living in PA for 22 years, it was a nice change to own a Ca truck, spotless underneath. All my vehicles since I have moved out of PA look so much better. My dad always parked his cars in the garage and I seem to recall they never got that bad. Compared my 04 Explorer to my buddies a few years back when I was on vaccation in Pa, his = ready for the junk yard, mine = still pristine.

budro6968

Veteran Member
Apr 2, 2016
Jax Florida
After living in PA for 22 years, it was a nice change to own a Ca truck, spotless underneath. All my vehicles since I have moved out of PA look so much better. My dad always parked his cars in the garage and I seem to recall they never got that bad. Compared my 04 Explorer to my buddies a few years back when I was on vaccation in Pa, his = ready for the junk yard, mine = still pristine.
I bet he washed the bottom off when he could. Even going to the beach here will do some damage. Run through a car wash after. Especially when you got stuck in the dunes. Oh it happens.

ssupercoolss

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2015
PA
You would think i hate my vehicles, but it dont. I tortured both my 85 and 95 Broncos. towed boats and waverunners down to the shore backing into salt water. nothing good comes of that. i drove both of them on the beach for surf fishing. nothing good comes of that. i snow plowed with both vehicles in PA. nothing good comes of that. The 95 had the cleanest body, but the underneath was a wreck. Both of them got brake lines, exhaust, and even frame patches regularly.
The absolute quickest way to destroy a car though is to have it in a flood down at the shore.
My Tacoma has been treated better, but it is still the vehicle i drive in the snow, and the frame got rusty enough that i got concerned with it, so i cleaned it up the best i could, threw some rusty metal paint at it, and the next day Toyota called me about a rusty frame campaign, and needed to inspect my frame for damage. Sure enough, i did get a new frame, all new brake lines, a new AC compressor, and lower (maybe uppers too, i forget) control arms. Took me basically a year to get it done, but it cost me 0$.

Latest posts