Is this for real? '70 12 bolt

Discussion in 'Auctions and Online Sales' started by hwprouty, Mar 16, 2021.

1. hwprouty

hwprouty Member

2. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Unfortunately yes on the price. One year only specific 70 z28 parts are getting pricey. Especially when the condition of them are good.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I don't think so.....There's a big demand for the person who needs it....which is just as rare as the rear-end itself. Years ago, if you wanted a 12 bolt, this was your direct bolt in option. These days we have direct fit 9" and 12 bolts that are way stronger than these OE units. I would never spend that kind of money for a bare housing unless it was for a 100% correct build.

$ Mike 70 Z-28 and Z-Life like this.
  4. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I editing this since I didn't write my actual intended reply correctly in my first post.. Right now the the 70 z28 camaro is a very popular car in the restoration world. Someone restoring the right car will most likely pay that price to get that nice housing. If I needed for one of my cars I sure would consider it.

5. badazz81z28

^^ agree, any part that is correct for a Z28 or L78 that is specific to these models are going to be expensive. The buying audience is just small because the production of these models is small. Even more when it’s a date coded item.

6. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

I’ve seen them sell for $2500 complete so not far off the mark. As said above, you can buy a moser 12 bolt for that so for a non restoration it wouldn’t make sense to not buy new.

Z-Life likes this.
  7. badazz81z28

Depends I guess...are you a die hard restorer that wants the correct GM gear and posi too? Axles? Brakes? Hunting these parts down to install in this housing can nickel and dime you. With all new aftermarket parts, with labor youll have over $2500 total invested in it. When I see bare anything....I always ask why was it taken apart?

8. hwprouty

hwprouty Member

One reason I'm asking is I have been tripping over my original 12 Bolt out of my '70 RS!
    I wonder if it's the same as the Z28 12 bolt?

9. Rosster

Well, RS was a trim option and only SS and z28s had the 12 bolt. Likely upgraded from a wrecked one back in the day.

hwprouty likes this.
  10. Rosster

I’m an amateur restorer but it’s unlikely someone will pull the axle cover to verify eaton posi date codes and GM gear sets. As you said, I’d be more concerned as to why it’s sitting stripped apart? Maybe housing was bent in a crash? Who knows?