Is this playing dirty pool?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ssupercoolss, Sep 10, 2020.

1. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

i have my eye on a car. Through the expanse of the internet, the sellers phone number, and some really good luck, i found the previous owner of the car. The car was sold 3 months ago, and reading between the lines, i think for a significantly lower price than its being offered up now. I havent contacted the seller yet, i am sort of on the fence with the car, but if he is willing to deal, and the price is right, i would be interested. I have been able to get some tidbits on the car from the WWW.
    Is it wrong of me to reach out to the old owner, for maybe some unbiased info about the car? Not that i have any reason to not believe the current seller, but he is of course, trying to sell a car.
    I think the PO would be upset with this guy for selling the car, thats my gut. I am planning on calling the seller tonight, theres a few key things i need to know about the car, and then i guess the answer to "how long have you owned it" will tell me something.
    I'm not trying to figure out how much the car was sold for, and play that against the current owner.

Zstar likes this.
  2. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Yes, contact the old owner. More info is always good when making a large purchase. You're just smarter than the present owner.

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  3. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No rules on what you're looking to do. Of course, you should be willing to walk away as well, which is normally the best practice on lowering the price.

4. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

no issues buying from a flipper as long as your happy with the price your willing to spend. getting background info is great too.
    We traded in our old 2wd 77 jimmy at a dealership and I saw it for sale a month later on craigslist. I was just curious and emailed the seller. it was our old Jimmy. he had some info listed wrong, I gave the seller all the correct info on the vehicle and even told him if any potential buyer wants, feel free to have them call me. jim

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would want to contact all the owners cause it could be a money pit.

6. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

Knowledge is power. Use the tools at your disposal. It's your money, so you're just doing the homework to spend it wisely. Good luck.

dcozzi and Zstar like this.
  7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The previous owner may simply tell you: "It's not my car anymore."
    Or... He may be extremely helpful with info about it.

Things may have been changed/swapped out (or damaged) by the current owner but it's worth a shot to call the previous owner.

I wouldn't tell the seller you knew how much he paid for it or who he bought it from.
    You can keep that info under your hat and use it from your side of the bargaining table for a fair price.

A fair price is a price YOU are willing to pay... No matter what the seller paid.

Zstar likes this.
  8. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Problem with flippers is half assed repairs or hiding issues. Definitely contact the previous owner and see how much he will share. No real rules when you're covering your butt on a purchase as long as local laws aren't violated.

Terry has great advise ^^^^^

9. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'd say information is fair. However - no matter what the current seller paid for the car, shouldn't influence what the car is worth to you.
    If the current seller paid $500 for the car is asking $10,000, and that's fair market value, the fair market value doesn't change.

10. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    like everyone else said, there is really no rules.