Is This Really A Z28???

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by JCSilver80, Aug 18, 2014.

1. thomer

thomer Veteran Member

I didnt realize that at all. Luckily for me mine was easy I found 2 build sheets so I knew it was a z regardless. However I just went and checked that data to my tag and it is correct. Good info to know. Thanks

2. cws455

cws455 Veteran Member

That is not true. 80 Z28's are the easiest to confirm via the vin. They were the only camaro's that came with the 350(5.7L) in 1980. So any 1980 camaro that has a vin that starts 1P87LAL is a Z28 built at the Van Nuys plant! If it has a vin that starts 1P87LAN then it is a Z28 that was built at the Norwood plant! Pretty simple. The Norwood trim tag will say Z28 on it. The Van Nuys trim tag will have just have 8.

3. JCSilver80

JCSilver80 Veteran Member

Thanks for all the info fellas, I'm heading over this afternoon to take a look.

4. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If it has suspect rivets on trim tags I'd be leary.

5. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was fairly certain that California sold Z/28's received the 165HP 305 CID engine. The upshot being that the fifth VIN digit would not be an "L".

6. c120cut

c120cut Member

I was fairly certain that California sold Z/28's received the 165HP 305 CID
    engine. The upshot being that the fifth VIN digit would not be an "L".

Yes 80 Z sold in California got computer controled 305

7. 1981blackZ28

1981blackZ28 Veteran Member

So did you go look? Inquiring minds want to know....

8. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

If the VIN/Trim plate were swapped with a known "good - titled" 78 VIN tag and & trim plate, the title will come back good, unbeknownst it may actually be a stolen 80 that had the VIN tag and trim plate replaced with one from a 78. That's how crooks pass off stolen cars now days. That's why I recommend looking at the hidden VINs.

9. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think there is only one hidden VIN on 2nd gen's - under the heater box. Difficult to look at unless the car is in pieces.

Earlier cars have a date stamped on the subframe rail under the driver's door. If later cars have this too then that would be another place to gather evidence (i.e. if the frame is dated for '78 then it would argue for a '78 - given the title - with '80 parts tacked on. If the frame reads '80 then all the illegal scenarios laid out above start to look more likely).

this may be helpful:

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115589

10. 80NoiceBerlinet

80NoiceBerlinet Member

there are a few things that are throwing me a red flag. among what the others have said there does not appear to be any of the z28 body decals on the front bumper ground effects, the fender, or the doors. there also appears to be a non-matched red induction piece on the hood. the interior looks to be modified and im thinking that they built the car from a different model camaro to look like an 80-81 z28 with the front end, and tail lights, and steering wheel. definitely need to closely look at the title, the trim tag and the vin plate. the vin plate and trim tag should be held in with rivets. look closely to see if they look new or if they have been replaced/painted