Issue with Hurst M21 install

tskills10

Veteran Member
Dec 1, 2007
painesville, OH
I messed up my shifter a few weeks back. I took the shifter and linkage off the trans to fix the shifter. Now that I am re-installing the shifter Something isn't right. The 3-4 rod seems to be short. It is only threaded about half way into the adjustment button. It wasn't like this before. I'm not sure what I'm doing differently. But I either did something different or I'm having one hell of a brain fart here.

Now I haven't finished the install so no all of the clips aren't installed yet. So what is wrong here?

Devildog

Veteran Member
Mar 22, 2002
Doylestown PA
grzewnicki said:
Trans is definitely in neutral? Looks like your 3-4 lever (front one) is in gear, believe both levers should be straight up and down when in neutral.

Shifter adjustment instructions here:

http://www.nastyz28.com/~copo/images/muncie%20adjust%20shifter.jpg

I think you're right looks like the gear lever on the trans is in gear but the shifter is set in neutral.

If I recall the trans lever has 3 positions forward and back are "in gear" and the center position is neutral. That lever definitely looks to be forward or in gear.

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
You have the trans in 4th gear.

This is neutral on my Muncie
muncie_OEM_hurstcompplus1.JPG

tskills10

Veteran Member
Dec 1, 2007
painesville, OH
Ok, I'm not crazy. It is in neutral, the shift lever appears in the picture that maybe it was in gear. So now I guess I need different answers.

Last edited:

tskills10

Veteran Member
Dec 1, 2007
painesville, OH
Got it figured out. No it wasn't in gear. But the shift arms were in the wrong spot. After switching the arms, everything fell into place and adjusted just fine. I put new steel bushings in to replace the worn nylon bushings. Shifter feels much more solid. Thanks for the suggestions, they help lead me to switching the arms.

Last edited: