JACK STAND SAFETY ALERT ! ! !

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by CamaroDoc, May 20, 2020.

1. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

Looks like I have the recalled 6 tons. Always thought the teeth looked a bit wimpy next to the little 3 ton ones. Had them for years. Usually never went under the car with them any higher than the lowest setting anyways. But I have used them set up several notches while swapping coil springs which definitely causes some shifting around.

2 or 3 years ago I made some wood stands with 2x4s and 2x12s so I just jack it up and put the tires on those if I plan to be underneath the car. Don't really see many situations where I'd need to be underneath the car while the suspension is missing anyways.

2. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I returned my 6 ton stands over the past weekend. I've had them for a couple of years, and had no issue. I put the front of the camaro on ramps, and jackstand the back level, so they were up quite a bit. I leave it that way all winter normally. Never thought anything of it as the car weighs less than 2 tons. I'm thinking they are failing when someone uses them on a heavy ass vehicle, and start impact gunning, or long-bar torquing something. Either way...I'm out two jack stands. Good thing it's off season.

3. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

Not all of them collapse. It's probably the ones towards the end of production for those part numbers/factories. HF claimed it's the tooling. I tried the wiggle test with mine and they didn't collapse. But looking at the wear on the teeth, there's hardly any engagement.

Note how old those videos are too.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    73 Z likes this.
  4. TheFastForester

TheFastForester Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

5. MAROJO

MAROJO New Member

Took mine back last week and was ready to spend an extra $50 for the 12T but they were sold out. The base height on the 12T is just about tall enough to get a trans out with no increased risk. Always use redundant safety though, a jack cinder block, wheel, whatever.

6. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So I'm in Harbor Freight today and took a look at some of these returned Jack Stands.
    GEEEEEEEEEZZZZ......is all I can say, Damn those notches/teeth in the support look very. very shallow. Not much of a cut, pitch or angle to them either.

7. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

Yup! I went to take mine back today but the line just to get in was nuts.

8. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

I have a 2 pairs of the 2 ton stands. One pair I bought probably 3 months ago. The other pair I've had for close to 10 years. My Camaro has been sitting in the air on all 4 of these for about 2 months.

The new pair are under the front of the car...supporting the car under the control arm spring perches. The stands aren't extended and it still gets the car pretty far off the floor. The older stands I have under the rear axle and they're extended about 5 teeth.

When I'm under it, I'll also use a floor jack under the pumpkin on the rearend if I can position it to not be in the way of what I'm doing. I've always used a floor jack in conjunction with stands as a backup if I'm going to be under a vehicle.

Smokey15 likes this.
  9. MAROJO

MAROJO New Member

Looks like the new model is failing in another way:

Attached Files:

10. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Are there any more reports on that? If not, it's entirely feasibly to assume someone damaged it just for 5 seconds of internet fame