Jakes Performance Transmission technical threads here

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by BonzoHansen, Jan 16, 2015.

1. AUTOMAN_1954

AUTOMAN_1954 New Member

Jake, I was hoping you might be able to give me some insight on a th350 transmission in my 1981 turbo Trans Am. It has a Pontiac 301 engine with a factory-installed Turbocharger and a th350 which is calibrated differently according to the information that I have found so far.
    One day driving home from my friends house it felt like the transmission was shifting into neutral as I was accelerating up a slight incline in the road. Luckily it still went into reverse so I drove it home in reverse about a half a mile. The next day I went out and checked it out. I let it come up to full operating temperature, checked the fluid level first which was perfect, put the car into reverse and the car moved, put it into 1st and you can feel the transmission engage but the car will not move. Same for drive and second, same thing. Could you please give me some insight on what I'm going to have to do to fix this transmission.
    Even though I have been working on cars for over 50 years( professionally for 44 years) I also have a 1979 Corvette with a th350 and it has no second gear, it takes off in first gear and shifts straight to third gear.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. willem

willem Veteran Member

anybody know why Jake stopped building 200r4's?

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

He more than once mentioned he was tired of warranty claims on ones where people set the TV cable wrong. So I will assume that is a big reason.

4. willem

willem Veteran Member

makes sense. thanks

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Can you even find a rebuildable 200R core anymore? Seems like hens teeth whenever I looked for one...ended up with a 700R4 and try to be easy on it.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

At one time he mentioned good 2004R cores were becoming scarce.
    Last I talked to him he was focusing on performance builds of 480LEs and a trans brake of his design.