Jambing

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by TX79Z28, Jul 16, 2013.

1. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am starting all the block sanding on the body shell, and have a dilemma about how to paint the door jambs. I am going with a dark blue solid (not met) so I think that should make it a little easier. With either of the following methods, I plan on shooting BC/CC on the back of the doors before mounting them.

1. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to shoot the BC/CC on the door jambs, including the entire rocker, and use the seam that separates the rocker and the quarter panel, right in front of the wheel arch, as a dividing point. I don't plan on painting the car for at least a year, and I thought about masking off the rocker when shooting the overall BC/CC in order to paint from that seam up. In "theory" it seems like it would work, but I am wondering if I am making this too difficult?

2. Would it just be a better and more simple idea to just shoot BC where the hinges bolt up before mounting the doors, for now. And when about to do the overall painting, shoot the BC on the jambs, let it dry, shoot the entire car with BC, and then repeat the process with CC? It seems that way would produce no hard paint lines or masking to deal with.

Never having done this, I am thoroughly confused as to what method would be best for a newbie .... any suggestions from the pros out there?

2. oledave60

oledave60 Veteran Member

We, son and I, shot all the jams with doors, trunk lid, hood, fenders and front valiance off the car. We then attached everything and adjusted the gaps as best we could and painted the whole car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

^ Those are the kinds of paintjobs that inspire me, doing it yourself and not overpaying a bodyshop an arm and a leg to do it

4. TX79Z28

Did you shoot the jambs with BC/CC, or SS?

Before the overall, did you sand the areas of paint that extended past the jambs? That's my main concern, not so much the BC, but the CC from the jambs. That the CC overspray would be a problem of adhesion of the BC when I do the overall paint job

5. oledave60

oledave60 Veteran Member

The jams were shot with SS and the over spray was sanded with 600 (I think) before the color coat.

We applied three coats of SS color and because we didn't have enough time in the re-coat window for the clear we wet sanded the color with 1500 and applied three coats clear the next weekend.

[​IMG]

6. TX79Z28

How did you deal with a hard tape line on the jamb areas after you shot the outside, rolled back masking tape? 3M foam tape?

7. oledave60

oledave60 Veteran Member

I read a lot about that before we painted, but in the end we didn't use anything. You cannot see any line in the jambs.

8. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

just shoot your jambs with bb/cc and let it overspray. when it comes time to paint the rest of the car, sand the ovewrspray and whole car with 400-600 and spray your bc/cc over the sanded oversprayed areas as well as the car.