James' 74 Z28 project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by highpwr67, Dec 14, 2013.

1. highpwr67

highpwr67 New Member

Sean,
    The original radio sounds so too LOL! They carpet...... Dry weather car right now as cowl rot in low area beneath drivers wiper as driver was exposed side under carport. Right now the carpet has been removed and the floor looks to be in pretty good shape (pics later).

2. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think the AC cars got the normal, non deep grove pulleys on them ,along with lower redline tach. Low RpM recommended setup with AC.......I could be mistaken .......think this started on the 72 AC equipped z28 ?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  3. Z28PILOT

Your father was very picky about that car.....most items like smog , and many GM components were tossed aside or trashed in favor of after market components. Not often do the owners from that era think about saving the original parts. You are very fortunate o have the intake and carb.!

My mother keep nagging me , about my corvette s heads in her basement , till I took them to the dump :screwup:

4. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Fred my 74 z28 does not have any deep groove pulleys. It still has the original alternator also on it. I am pretty shure 73 and 74 z28s with A/C did not get the deep groove pulleys installed on them.

5. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

I believe you are correct. My 74 Z28 did not have the deep grove alternator pulley and it came with AC and is an automatic.

6. xnightflyerx

xnightflyerx Member

Car looks great and the interior is amazing for such an old car! :)

7. highpwr67

highpwr67 New Member

xnightflyerx,

Thanks, the deeper I look the better I feel about the project.

Z28Pilot,

He knew those parts needed to be kept. Dad has an electrical engineers education, the best of a practical electronics technician's abilities, mechanical skill, machine shop "respect" (he would never call himself a machinist) and a gear head at heart. Humble to a fault, he could work on just about anything and was smart enough to call in backup when things got sticky. Early childhood memories included fishing parts out of the carb cleaner basket so he could blow them off with the compressed air. Bleeding brakes on the carport at night in really cold weather, etc. etc.

After the tornado hit their house in Birmingham he thought he had the car sold. I was disappointed but it wasn't mine so I was OK with it (wife wasn't keen about it at the time). By fortune/misfortune (a long story best left out) it did not get sold and I either asked for permission/or begged for forgiveness to get it running again. My wife warmed up to the idea of keeping it the family.... plugs, carb rebuild, water pump, etc. and here we are.

All that to say.... when you give a nod to my father..... it means alot, ....handshake sir

John

Here are more pics taken before work started. At this time it was just running but I hadn't started "evaluation mode" which I am mostly still in at this point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  8. Z28PILOT

What's more ......amazing......it has Original D88 Decals on it .....and the fenders were left virgin ! That's very rare . and Correct....

You'll see that most cars owners would add the Z28 fender emblems To their D88 stripe pkg cars. Or stripe pkg added to non D88 cars. So most seem to be wearing both today.

Just love your car ....brings back old memories .....I drove mine to Myrtle Beach back in 1977. :crazy: ....

You are very lucky ....it would be very hard to find another car For sale like it in that shape.

Fred

9. nikogto

nikogto Veteran Member

What letters or numbers tell you if the 74 came with those stripes? Here is my plate info:
    ST74 1F087 N 214086 BDY
    TR 777A51 11 11 PNT
    05B Z28 BLK
    mine was re-painted by previous owner, white with black interior, is this correct?

10. nikogto

nikogto Veteran Member

Welcome to the site highpwr67, nice un-molested ride!