Joey Grey muffler vs Gardner

unrestored72Z

Veteran Member
Feb 17, 2000
Sacramento, CA
A friend of mine with a recently restored 73z felt the exhaust was too loud on his car which had a new Joey Gray exhaust system, sitting in the car was too loud for him as well.
Watch the video and listen to the difference when tapping on the Gray muffler versus the Gardener exhaust muffler, night and day difference.
Now his car is much quieter inside, as well behind the car has a softer, more throaty rumble.

Last edited:

Joey Gray

Sep 1, 2001
Clemmons N.C
Unrestored 72z28
We have had great success with the systems we build and offer to Second Generation Camaro enthusiast. We worked to provide the correct factory look and sounding exhaust system to restorers at a much more reasonable cost. Gardner Systems are very nice, just as our systems are. The muffler Gardner offers has more packing to muffle the sound of which the one we offer with our system has less, as you demonstrated in you video. I personally like the sound of our system verses Gardner and have had zero complaints. That is my opinion, just as everyone has one.
Joe

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
IMO, the Joey Gray muffler is too loud. I have a Walker transverse on mine from the 80’s or 90’s and IMO it sounds better.

Joey‘s

Walker

unrestored72Z

Veteran Member
Feb 17, 2000
Sacramento, CA
The biggest difference to my ear was inside the car....much quieter with the Gardner muffler but to Joey's credit, the rest of the systems seemed nearly identical thus, if someone is considering a new system and price, maybe the muffler alone would not be worth the cost of a Gardner system.

PaulC

Mar 22, 2001
I too have a Walker transverse probably from the early 80s as well on my 71 LS3. At the time I had exhaust pipes made up and proceeded to cut them for headers. Does anyone know where to find front exhaust pipes for a '71 big block car, rest of the system was NOS replacements including the chrome tailpipes.

Latest posts