JohnL71RS’s Project restart…..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by JohnL71RS, Nov 11, 2010.

1. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

i finished sanding the primer and test fitted the hood. i had to install the hinges and aligned everything. i also put the header on the align the hood. here is a pic of the top and with the hood opened. BTW, the hinges with the struts work great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But, there is always a but with this car, the area i built up after modifing the hood was hitting the cowl. Next, the passenger's side front was hitting the radiator support. so i cut the radiator support and bent it down. this matched the other side. i will weld it back probably this weekend. then i had to take down the area hitting the cowl and prime again. All till next weekend. Thanks for checking out my progress.

roadrace2 likes this.
  2. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

i finally repainted the underside of the hood. i did have 1 run and two puddles. i have since sanded them off. i enclosed the inner garage with plastic to make a coonass paint booth.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i will polish the hood once i find my polisher. i also took apart my new hinges and sanded the milling marks out. it didn't look good, so i gave it the satin finish that i have on all my aluminum parts. I will take off days later in the week and get garage and yard cleaned up and get the car back in the garage.

I also grinded out the solent pop and cracks in the rear spoiler. the outer piece i grinded right through it. so i fiberglassed the inner side. then i primed all the spots with the first coats. I will build up the coats tomorrow. thanks for checking out my progress.

roadrace2 likes this.
  3. Cowman

Cowman Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hi John, been a while since I checked in, looks like you've made some solid progress in my absence.

Love those hood hinges!

4. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

all,

i have seem to misplaced my manual. i need the pics and instructions for installing the front rs split bumpers. Any help would be appreciated.

5. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

you wanting the assembly diagram?

6. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

yes, that should work.

7. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

i also need help with the torsion bar for the trunk. is there a way to distinguish the rods between the non-spoiler and with a spoiler. i thought i put in the one for the spoiler and it won't hold up the trunk lid. is there a different diameter of the rod???

8. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Been awhile since last updates. Many to get to. While I was wet sanding for paint, i found a few issues. i had a solvent pop on rear spoiler and cracks in RS nose.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then the radiator support was hitting the underside of the hood. when i modified the hood, i thought i had enough clearance. So i cut the radiator support to fit. the pic is from one side, but i had to do it on each side.
    [​IMG]

Since i had time waiting on specialty painter, i started on remaking the radiator support covers. here are some pics of the old ones cut and modified, so i could make new ones out of heavier aluminum.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More to come.

9. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

i had some delays with issues with the body, painter, and life. My ac and hot water heater both crapped out within a month of each other. I had to repair some spots on the car. i gave a custom painter a down payment for him to paint the strips. when i was ready, he was working on cars for Sema, then he had to go to Sema. then he came back and i had a few things to fix after wet sanding, then i told him to get ready and he bailed on me. So i had to find another custom painter for the strips. here are a few pics of the body ready for paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also started on my cowl cover. i am making it in aluminum and will paint blue.
    [​IMG]

10. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

I found a painter that said he has painted aluminum graphics before. so i setup him, my painter of the car and a paint booth. here are some pics of the paint job.
    First is the strips. First coat. It took three times of painting, scotch brite and cleaning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After he finished, he sprayed clear base to lock in the graphics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG].

He taped up the strips and we had to paint all the areas outside the strips that were silver with black base coat. the blue has to go over black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the base.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cont.

dave@ztech likes this.