JohnL71RS’s Project restart…..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by JohnL71RS, Nov 11, 2010.

1. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

sorry been too long since my last post. i need to update all my progress. stay tuned.

2. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Well quick catch-up. I got the car on the road. Went to some car shows and won some awards. I always had issues with the carb. Always flooding out. I rebuilt it, and 4 others. Changed floats, needle and seat, etc. car got better but would still drip off boasters after it was turned off. It left me stranded a few times as well. Started hearing a noise no one could figure out. So I dropped the pan and I had a rod bearing parts in the pan. So that was last March. Pulled the motor and I had a spun bearing, bent rod and messed up piston. So I ordered and entire rotating assembly. Since it was the same price, I upped to a stroker kit. I also had the motor punched out 30. So it is a 489 now. It would take 3 1/2 months for my balanced rotating assembly to arrive. During that time I decided to pull the valves and port the heads. I did a great job but hit a couple of seats. I brought to machine shop and we decided to just put in all new valves and bring up my stock cast 049 heads to 1.72 and 2.19 stainless valves. He also had to deck the heads. They were a little off. He also had to deck the block. Between both, it was cut down over .30. I had a friend who needed a carb core so I traded him the old 850 for a new solid roller cam, springs, retainers and locks. The cam also didn't look good either, so that is why I changed it. This cam is larger as well. I had a solid flat tappet 290/560 lift. This cam is a solid roller with 260/680 lift. It should be alot healthier. I also bought a Holley Sniper EFI.

Now to today. I put the motor in last week and I am finishing up with the bolt on parts. We are rewiring the efi today. Should hear it start this week. Unfortunately, I will not make Cruising the Coast down here. I will probably go without the car this weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[email protected], ChevyReb and xten like this.
  3. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sorry to hear about all your issues but in the end it sounds like you have a much improved set up.

You will be very happy with the EFI! Reliability alone will be worth it. It will take some tweaking to get it to work with your set up but it will be worth it.

Great update.

4. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

And to make things worse, i got released from my job 3 months ago after 14 years. i went through so tough days and still going through them. Trying to find a job is a pita. Still looking.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sorry for the bad news John. But that motor sho is purdy

6. 8pack

You will find something. Not sure what field you are in or what the market is like in LA, but here in Mass it doesn’t matter what you do, it is a buyers market. Stick with it, it will work out!

7. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

I am a Systems Administrator. I work with Windows Servers in a Datacenter. All the apps and MS stuff as well.

8. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

kind of surprised you're having a hard time finding work, I'm in the same field and get people contacting me all the time. Are you just getting the run around? or is no one getting back to you.

9. 8pack

Don’t be discouraged. Your skills are definitely in demand. Make sure your LinkedIn profile is up to date and well written. Have a colleague or mentor take a look at it to make sure it represents your capabilities and experience in the best light.

Join a bunch of LinkedIn groups related to your knowledge and/or industry which gives you more exposure to recruiters. You may want to consider signing up for the premium package which gives you some additional exposure and benefits.

You will land something pretty soon!

10. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Done all that. all is good, been to a few final interviews. But they went with another candidate. It is frustrating since i have over 20 years exp. But at least we are almost finished wiring the efi. we redid the power lines, fuses, relay.

mrfleet12 likes this.