JohnL71RS’s Project restart…..

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
Done all that. all is good, been to a few final interviews. But they went with another candidate. It is frustrating since i have over 20 years exp. But at least we are almost finished wiring the efi. we redid the power lines, fuses, relay.
plenty of jobs in Texas! Im software engineer and we go through a lot of turnover in the VMware data center area because its so lucrative...these guys keep getting snatched for higher pay jobs.

JohnL71RS

Veteran Member
Apr 12, 2010
Marrero, LA
I've been having issues with the Wasted Spark ignition working with the Holley Sniper. i did put in a distributor and coil and it fired up and i ran it off and on for over an hour. I put back in the other ignition and still fighting to get it fired up. I tried multiple suggestions from the AutosportLabs community with no luck. Hopefully get this thing to work.

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
I've been having issues with the Wasted Spark ignition working with the Holley Sniper. i did put in a distributor and coil and it fired up and i ran it off and on for over an hour. I put back in the other ignition and still fighting to get it fired up. I tried multiple suggestions from the AutosportLabs community with no luck. Hopefully get this thing to work.
make sure your tach signal is good.

JohnL71RS

Veteran Member
Apr 12, 2010
Marrero, LA
I have been fighting the Holley EFI Sniper for months. I couldn't seem to get my Megajolt wasted spark ignition system to work with the sniper. The rpm signal just wouldn't work. Tried many different routes, even some that worked for others, with no luck. So I just put in my old Accel Dist and a new MSD coil. Starts up great. But now it won't run correctly on the road. Local tuner said it was the ECU was bad. Called up Holley, sent conf and data logs. Their response is vaccum leak, low fuel pressure or down an injector. All gaskets are new and tight. I will put teflon tape on my oil evac line going to the flame arrestor. Fuel pressure is at 60 lbs in park and drive. All injectors are pulsing fuel while its running. I can rev it to 4 or 5000 in park. But driving it the air/fuel just pegs out and it dies. I got stranded on the highway in front of my neighborhood. I will check some things this weekend and start a new thread on Holley's forum. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I am new to EFI and most of my friends don't know it either. It is not just put on and let it learn. False narrative.

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
Im running FiTech, but the concept is pretty much the same. Get someone to film your screen read out while idling, and while driving when it dies. Curious what the AFR , TPS and MAP are doing.

As far as ignition, are you letting the Holley control your timing? If you are undo that. Much simpler to troubleshoot issues if you can limit the variables.

Also do you have a gauge on fuel pressure? what kind of pump, what kind of tank?
If you have checked vacuum and you have no vacuum leaks, Id check tank/pump.

Auto or standard? Auto has vacuum line?

JohnL71RS

Veteran Member
Apr 12, 2010
Marrero, LA
Im running FiTech, but the concept is pretty much the same. Get someone to film your screen read out while idling, and while driving when it dies. Curious what the AFR , TPS and MAP are doing.

As far as ignition, are you letting the Holley control your timing? If you are undo that. Much simpler to troubleshoot issues if you can limit the variables.

Also do you have a gauge on fuel pressure? what kind of pump, what kind of tank?
If you have checked vacuum and you have no vacuum leaks, Id check tank/pump.

Auto or standard? Auto has vacuum line?
The AFR is pegging out. I have the IAC between 6-10%. No timing is involved. I have a fuel pressure gauge under the hood, 60 lbs at idle and in gear. I have the electric pump that came with the sniper kit. it is out of the tank. I have a stock tank with a sump I put in the back. All #8 line, except the two small connections to the pump and a #6 return line. Automatic Trans, but I mostly shift it manually. I checked for vacuum leaks and found none. I did have my oil evac line going into the header and the O2 sensor was downstream about 12". I have since disconnected that and plugged off the nipple in the header. I did merge my fuel/AFT table with another BBC config file. Tried it yesterday and it was better. It died once, then started up and went better. I left it in second gear and was able to get on it. It would still stumble over 3000 rpm. I started a log and check my config file once i got home and the learn table was all 0's. It was in a learn mode. This stuff is frustrating. I can't even get out the neighborhood.

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
The AFR is pegging out. I have the IAC between 6-10%. No timing is involved. I have a fuel pressure gauge under the hood, 60 lbs at idle and in gear. I have the electric pump that came with the sniper kit. it is out of the tank. I have a stock tank with a sump I put in the back. All #8 line, except the two small connections to the pump and a #6 return line. Automatic Trans, but I mostly shift it manually. I checked for vacuum leaks and found none. I did have my oil evac line going into the header and the O2 sensor was downstream about 12". I have since disconnected that and plugged off the nipple in the header. I did merge my fuel/AFT table with another BBC config file. Tried it yesterday and it was better. It died once, then started up and went better. I left it in second gear and was able to get on it. It would still stumble over 3000 rpm. I started a log and check my config file once i got home and the learn table was all 0's. It was in a learn mode. This stuff is frustrating. I can't even get out the neighborhood.
Fitech has a clear learn function....does holley have something like that? Id clear the learn and let it start over. Ive heard of it setting fuel settings on a bad learn , like if the engine backfires or has a timing issue.

JohnL71RS

Veteran Member
Apr 12, 2010
Marrero, LA
Before I took it out, I cleared the learn table. But it is weird that it was in learn mode, but the table is empty. Waiting on Holley forum guys to get back with me.

JohnL71RS

Veteran Member
Apr 12, 2010
Marrero, LA
I mapped my base table myself and it ran great. then next day it went to crap again. I found someone who will create me a tune and support for a year. I really want to move forward and drive.

JohnL71RS

Veteran Member
Apr 12, 2010
Marrero, LA
I ended up paying a tuner online. I have my new config file and going to try and start it up tonight. I have to do multiple data logs of him and he will adjust settings in between each set. Thanks for checking out my progress.