JohnL71RS’s Project restart…..

JohnL71RS

Veteran Member
Apr 12, 2010
Marrero, LA
All my issues seem to be RFI/EMI interference. Working on getting rid of it. One issue, i didn't put alternator back together real tight. Brought to shop and they got it straight. Didn't even charge me. Putting Ferrite clamps on many grounds and wrapping Holley harness wires with RFI tape. Then putting back the poly mesh after. If Holley knows their product has issues with RFI, why don't they shield the damn wire harness. Conclusion: to buy all the ignition parts that go with the Sniper.

JohnL71RS

Veteran Member
Apr 12, 2010
Marrero, LA
Tuner says that i have too much RFI. I put Ferrite clamps on most of grounds. Wrapped all the sensor wires with RFI tape. Wrapped the magnetic pickup with RFI tape. Tried to start and backfiring. I think i got the RFI tape too close to the rotor. I will have to cut some off the pickup and try again.

JohnL71RS

Veteran Member
Apr 12, 2010
Marrero, LA
I got the RFI stuff figured out. But it was still dying after 3000rpm on acceleration. Tuner says that I have fuel issue. Either the pump or bad injectors. After research I found that Holley put the wrong pump in my kit. Called Holley and they sent the pump and AN fittings to me. Put it in and I can finally get out the neighborhood. Generated the data logs that the tuner requested and put some miles on the rebuilt motor. Finally moving forward. Next is to get the Megajolt/EDIS ignition system to work.

JohnL71RS

Veteran Member
Apr 12, 2010
Marrero, LA
Been gone for awhile. Many updates. Finished motor, got rfi down, new tunes from tuner for Holley EFI. Got it running good and went to Cruising the Coast. Had a great time. Came home and started having small issues. Then a couple of weeks ago I spun a bearing on the way home. Just tore it apart and brought to shop and it looks like all the bearings spun. Started with the mains and then the rods. Once rod bearing did completely fall apart. He thinks the oil tolerance on the mains was too small. So two main caps are toast. Block has to be line bored. I need another crank and one rod. Merry Christmas to me. Not what i wanted to be buying.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
First off, sorry to hear about your incredible bad luck. I went back several pages, I hope I'm reading this right, if not, please clarify.

1- Looks like you had carb issues then spun bearings/bent rod/messed up piston back in March 2021.

2- Then Oct. 2022 you rebuilt the engine, + .030 (489) new rotating assembly, port heads, deck heads and block, new "healthy" solid roller cam, 260* dur. w/.680 lift.

3- Converted to EFI with major issues.

4- Then, as time went by this summer, got it sorted out.

5- Now, you are back to square 1 with the new rebuilt engine with complete rod and main bearing failure and ruining 2 main caps, 1 rod and the crank !!!

6- The "shop" said all bearings are spun, block needs line bore, new crank, 1 rod, and completely rebuilt !!

"He thinks the oil tolerance on the mains was too small"

I will get straight to the point, trying not being a arsehole , but if that "quote" is coming from the machine shop/machinist or builder of that engine, I would seriously stop and rethink what you are doing.

He "thinks" the bearings where too small and the mains were first to go, then rods ?? as the saying goes "If you think ya know, ya don't know". Ask him what the engines build/spec has down for main/rod clearances and what oil grade he has down, or told you to use, or did he even ask you "what" oil you are using or going to use. Another question, from the way your post reads, he bored the block, then later on, he decked the block and heads a total of .030, please tell me he decked the block before he bored it out....bet he did not use tq plates either.

Ask him if he has your engines build spec sheet, or has a record of the bearing clearances, if no spec sheets or notes can be produced, or has no clue....Run Forest Run.

FWIW, "healthy" cams in a solid roller configuration, most with LSA's on the tight side, do not play well with EFI for the most part. I have notice you use a electric water pump, Mezier perhaps, I have seen this exact setup fail more than once in the BBC, regardless what the internet/manufacturer says.

Hope you get the answers, if not, I think of an alternate plan moving forward.

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
Been gone for awhile. Many updates. Finished motor, got rfi down, new tunes from tuner for Holley EFI. Got it running good and went to Cruising the Coast. Had a great time. Came home and started having small issues. Then a couple of weeks ago I spun a bearing on the way home. Just tore it apart and brought to shop and it looks like all the bearings spun. Started with the mains and then the rods. Once rod bearing did completely fall apart. He thinks the oil tolerance on the mains was too small. So two main caps are toast. Block has to be line bored. I need another crank and one rod. Merry Christmas to me. Not what i wanted to be buying.
I fear the same outcome. I built my big block 20 years ago, didn't start it until 3 years ago. Over the years I oiled it and turned the crank to keep it from crusting up on me. So Far So good, but I'm also not driving it long distances, just around my neighborhood, less the 2 miles. Car isn't anywhere close to being street legal. If it craters, im upgrading to a 454, but the delay and cost sucks.