June Norwood 1970 coupe

Ken70

Jul 14, 2018
Hi

Ive had my 1970 for over 30 years but when I got it , it was just a body. Looking to see more info if possible..

I know its a v8/auto due to the vin but how can I tell if it was a 307 or 350 or even a big block?

I do see only one fuel line from the tank, I've seen other cars with a fuel return line and also the smog set up?

I have Manuel brakes with front disc and it had a 10 bolt no posi that I've since put a 1970 12 bolt 373 in.

Thanks
ken

rotinrob

Veteran Member
Oct 2, 2018
A Norwood car would have a L78 (if you are extremely lucky) or L34 (still lucky) for a 396/402. Since big blocks only came with the SS package they would also be SS cars. Another less reliable way is all big block cars had a blacked out rear panel. No such stamping or other way to determine a 350 car except a Norwood car could have a Z28.?? stamped on the trim tag (do I need to explain that code). LA cars have nothing on the trim tag to guide us in this regard but they are more likely to have a build sheet stuffed somewhere than a Norwood car. Can you post a pic of the TT? If the 10 bolt is original It will not be a big block car or a Z28. Not sure if an SS could be had without a 12 bolt but I am sure someone can chime in with that information.

rotin

Ken70

Jul 14, 2018
Yes sorry I should of been more clear .

I know my trim tag is not a z28 and it’s classic copper color built in the 3 rd week of June 70 with saddle interior. I also know about the black back panel on the big block cars but mine was repainted already when I got it.I was trying to get more definitive on what size v8 it had if anyone knows another tell tale sign and why some Camaro’s have a return fuel line ? CA cars for Emissions?

Did all come with smog pumps ?

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
If the 10 bolt was original to the car, that rules out any SS or Z28 as all of them had 12 bolt rears. However, the VIN and trim tag have no information to tell you if it was the 307 or the L65 350. If you can find the original engine, that would identify what engine it is.

rotinrob

Veteran Member
Oct 2, 2018
All L78's came with smog pumps, but that was just GM making the supply chain simple, not required on 48 state cars. I think the same is true for the Z28 but not really an expert on the Z28. One of the reason for GM to change the 396 into a 402 was to skirt some emissions laws that changed for engines over 400 ci. My L78 car doesn't have a return line. The nice thing about your car (other than being a 1970 Camaro) is it doesn't appear to be any of the rarer cars so you can feel free to modify and change the car in anyway without the questions of why did you pro street a 1970 Z28.

rotin

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
The L78 and the Z28 ran Holley carbs, and the Holley carbs struggled to meet even the 1970 emissions standards for 49 states as well as California emissions. Because of that, they had to have smog pumps to get past EPA certification. Engines with Rochester carbs naturally ran cleaner so most of them passed certification without smog pumps.