Just pulled trigger on FiTech

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 408maro, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Enroute

Enroute Veteran Member

Install looks great. Good to see you have it running.
    Have fun driving as it dials itself in.

Your initial response to the EFI system seems to be similar to everyone else's...."improved throttle response....crisp...etc".

Glad to see you sorted out the FCC issue. If I were you I would call Fi Tech and ask them about the noise coming from the FCC. Yours is the first I've read about it being loud.

My EFI install will probably happen around June/July. My car has factory A/C so I don't have the luxury of space as you did. I may end up moving my battery over to the driver side putting the FCC in it's place. I will also upgrade to a more modern and compact charcoal canister setup.
    One thing I need is a mechanical fuel pump that doesn't have a return port....I'm not sure if it's problematic to block off the return port on a factory style mechanical fuel pump. I would rather use a mechanical fuel pump that doesn't have a return line...therefore nothing to block off. And as instructed the FCC will drain back to the fuel tank via the factory return line.

2. 408maro

408maro Veteran Member

Thank you. I have emailed Kirk at fitech. He said to just keep a eye on it and let him know if anything funky.

I will try to get a video of it. But so far happy

3. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

How hot is the FCC getting? Does fuel keep it cool it that location? I like to see what mpg you get with it.

4. 408maro

408maro Veteran Member

It's not burning while touching it. I also tracked the sound coming from the efi unit itself it's almost like a vacuum leak sound but it's from the bowl area itself.

I'm curious to see after a few hundred miles of mpg aswell

5. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

That's probably the idle air control making the sucking noise(I'm assuming FI Tech uses one, MSD does and they're the same concept). Do you have to adjust the throttle blades with that system?

6. 408maro

408maro Veteran Member

That makes sense... I did initially due to having a hard time at idle on first star . But that's it

7. 408maro

408maro Veteran Member

Just a update. Drive the car today finally as opposed to letting idle.

Besides the fact my new radiator is somehow having a little leak from the also new cap which I gotta figure out.

Car is running pretty damn good. Still needs some more time but I drove it further today which was about 40 miles then I have driven in about 2 years..

It's still very responsive. Starts up almost every time but does have some times when accelerating and lags and others where it's perfect.

I do smell a strong scent of fuel which I can only figure is from the fuel command center and also a weird buzzing sound at idle almost like a electric sound

8. stoney2677

stoney2677 Veteran Member

How bout a vid...

9. 408maro

408maro Veteran Member

I will work on one today hopefully

10. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

It'll definitely need more drive time. Can you adjust AF ratios for idle, cruise, and WOT? I imagine it'll probably run rich to begin with while it's learning your engine.