Keisler RS 400/500 input?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by hutchenc, Sep 7, 2011.

1. hutchenc

hutchenc Veteran Member

Hey guys,

Does anyone have one of these in a car that's running and driving? Are they actually shipping them yet? Anyone know what they cost? Would I need to change my crossmember to throw in one of these?

I don't mind the wide ratio M-21 in my Camaro, but I have designs on an overdrive. Those 3.73's aren't too fun on the highway.

This would be a manual to manual swap.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  2. RS1970

RS1970 Veteran Member

Kiesler has all the info on the website. They are great about getting info to you if you email or call too.
    Take a look at one of the direct fit kits. Scroll down the parts list and see what it takes. They are shipping as I understand it. And I have read good reviews so far. I do not have one, nor have I tried one myself. But from what I hear it is a vast improvement over the TKO in how it shifts. It is also a smaller case and should not require any tunnel mods. You can also use your stock shifter location with the right set up.

I was going to buy the RS500 until a t56 fell in my lap.

3. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

M-21 is a close ratio gearbox, M-20 is the wide ratio version

Regarding the TKO's shifting issues, I have yet to experience any shifting issues below 6000rpm.

I have a TKO600 behind the 440hp small block in my '69 vette - its a typical hyd roller thats done by 6000rpm so no reason to spin it higher.

4. ProStreet78z28

ProStreet78z28 Banned

I heard rumors that the RS600s have been shipping, but no confirmation. I actually didnt feel it was that much cheaper. I was quoted about $3100 for a kit.

5. hutchenc

hutchenc Veteran Member

I found a longish thread over on Pro-touring.com about the RS600's. It's hard to tell what's really going on. It's also really difficult to discern what actually comes in a kit. Another fellow over on Pro-Touring with a 2nd
    gen didn't receive a crossmember with his kit. They told him he needed to order that separately and when he went to do that, they told him that they didn't have one ready yet for the 2nd gen F-Body.

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?74448-Keisler-RS600

I don't understand why these transmission companies can't put the damn prices on their websites. Drives me nuts.

Looks like they're having lots of problems getting the right parts out the door to customers. Not sure I want to be a guinea pig.

Yeah...I meant M-20.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  6. Camarocore

Camarocore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

its T45! its a hoax beware!!

7. CACTUS4TWO

CACTUS4TWO Veteran Member

I recommend the TKO-500/600. I run one in my 1975 camaro. It is great, I really didn't like running with without a overdrive even with my 2.73's and a good stall. But it ran me close to $4,000 to swap it out!:whine: You could do it for less of course but I had to convert it from an auto and I got all the good stuff as well.

Trust me, whatever you end up doing, you wont regret it! I would like to try a gear vendors unit myself, that way you could keep the tranny you got and have the added advantage of splitting gears!:bowtie:

8. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

+1 on the tko.I had placed an order with Keisler but about 3 weeks had gone by and they told me they had given me some wrong info.Was suppose to be a pull the muncie and put in the RS tranny simple swap.Then I goy an email saying that the input shaft was smaller than I was told and I'd have to run a ford disc.I canceled my order and it took 4 weeks and about 30 phone calls to get my $1000 deposit back.Ordered the tko(from someone else) on a Monday and it was sitting on my porch on Friday.I was given an 8 week lead time from keisler on the RS.

9. Patrick73RS

Patrick73RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have been reading a lot of horror stories about delays and problems with the parts not all being int he package upon arrival. Also hearing a lot that they are dragging their feet quite a bit when it comes to making good when they are late on delivery.

I hope they get it sorted ouot as that tranny has a lot of potential

10. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You dug this thread up just for that? I'm beginning to wonder if you're on somebody's payroll...