Key stuck in passenger door

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Ben Plunkett, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Ben Plunkett

Ben Plunkett New Member

Hey all, first post here. I just bought a 79 Camaro and went to unlock the passenger side door. The key turned and is now stuck in the unlock position however the door did not unlock. The door won't unlock from the inside either and won't open at all this problem? I've tried wiggling the key and using wd-40 but no success.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Itsadryheat79

Itsadryheat79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Have you tried a slim jim tool?
    Tool is used to lift or push on the bar inside the door to unlock it.
    There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to do this - or call your AAA or a locksmith.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

4. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Yes, I updated the post linked above with the solution. It's an easy fix. Pm me if you have any questions. before anything else, you'll need to get AAA to open the door. They will have to use a slimjim, none of their other tricks will likely work in this situation. Once you're unlocked, the door is absurdly easy to work on. The lock cylinder is held in with a horseshoe clip. You can hey to it with a long screwdriver from the too with the window down. Anything after that is way easier with the inner door panel off. That is also super easy.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  5. Itsadryheat79

Itsadryheat79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Should have mentioned - I used a silm jim while also turning the key to unstick a lock cylinder that would not turn. Maybe I just got lucky.

6. Ben Plunkett

Ben Plunkett New Member

I haven't tried that but I will get one tomorrow and try it. Any ideas for getting the key out of the lock? I'm not sure if it's seized but nothing I tried could get it out.

7. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Go to the thread linked above. You're going to have to force out the key. Pull and jiggle it. It'll come out. Eventually.

8. Ben Plunkett

Ben Plunkett New Member

Perfect thank you, I'll give it a go and I'll pm you if I have any questions!