Key won't turn

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by marauder64ky, May 29, 2009.

1. marauder64ky

marauder64ky Veteran Member

Any ideas what would make the ignition not turn? Parked an old '72 about 2 years ago. Worked fine then. Jiggled the key. Turned the wheel a little. Jiggled the shifter. Nothing. And yes, I have the right key. Acts like it wants to turn but something is holding it back. Any help appreciated.

2. marauder64ky

marauder64ky Veteran Member

It feels like it is ok at the key end. What could be hanging up on the rod or at the other end of the rod? Do I need to pull the wheel?

3. lockguy

lockguy New Member

the only way your going to find out is to pull the wheel and remove the ignition, then you can test it in your hand. It may be the side bar in the ignition lock jambed, or it is farther down the colloum.

4. Dukes72

Dukes72 Veteran Member

You didn't specifically mention if you tried turning the collar on your steering column at same time as working your shifter into Park. If you didn't try that, give it a shot.

5. Mikey18

Mikey18 Veteran Member

That was the problem on my 81. Left it overnight at the mall, just to figgure out a little twist was all I needed.

6. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Are the front wheels turned at all? Is it possible when you last parked the car that the steering wheel was turned ever so slightly and it locked with pressure on the column?