Kids first .22

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Fbird, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Dmystix

Dmystix Veteran Member

You're right on the 39As.
    The other day, on the one Marlin site, A 39M, 20" barrel version, went for $750, + shipping, and inbound FFL fees.
    It's amazing what these department store, hardware store, basically available anywhere guns bring now. No disrespect meant on Marlins, or their original sources. I've got 5, plus 5 or 6 others thru the years. Back around 90/91 a guy had a 1894c in 357, and a 58 336RC in 35 Rem., he wanted $150 for the pair , I tried to NOT buy the 357. I said who wants a rifle in a handgun caliber, besides 22s?? Ended up getting both for $115. Can't believe what the 1894Cs are going for now. I guess it's like old Camaros, etc.
    Back to 22s, another plug for Savage, my son bought my grandson a bolt with clip, yeah magazine, I know. He got it 4 yrs. ago, when he was 12, loves it, shoots great, no problems.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  2. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know much about the centerfire marlins as they aren't popular in IL due to know rifle hunting for deer. But the 39A is pretty easy to figure out why it is desired. When you grab one you know it is a well built gun, it is heavy in the hand and built to feel like a large caliber gun. Most other lever .22 guns just don't feel this way and are made with alloy recievers or shrunk down components that are just big enough to handle the .22lr where the 39A was very much overbuilt for its caliber. For instance my buddy that bought my first 39a thought he wanted a browning bl22 until he handled one. They feel like a red rider bb gun in the hand.

3. My73LT

My73LT Veteran Member

Ruger 10/22. End of story.

I've had mine since '85. Must have 10k rounds thru it and it's never let me down ( except when I used a few dime store plastic mags ). Easy to customize. Easy to use. Easy to clean. Perfect rifle for a beginner, but something a more experienced shooter can appreciate. They even make a miniature stock for kids. My 8 year old LOVES to shoot mine.
    http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=GM443546

True Story :

I was out at the range with a friend in the late '80s, and we were casually putting bullets down range with our 10/22s. We had multiple 30 round mags, scopes, 500+ rounds of ammo. Just having a good time. A father/son pair showed up and took a stall two spots up from us with a bolt action .22 Marlin. The dad let the kid have a few shots, and then started dialing the sites in. While he was doing that the kid wandered over. He saw our boxes of ammo, scopes, clips, how many shots we were spraying downrange, and asked what kind of rifles we had. We told him 22's.. You could see the look on his face as he looked back and forth between his dad farting with the iron sites on that bolt action putting in a few bullets one at a time, and us popping in clips and nailing shots with scopes. He didn't say anything, but you could tell it was "P.O.S.".

DON'T BE THAT DAD.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I got my 10/22 when I was 12.
    (Prior to the Bicentennial edition, by a couple of years)

I was a skinny little guy at that age and never had a problem handling it.
    It's been the only .22 I've ever owned or needed! (For over 40 years)

However, I learned to shoot with a different gun.... My Dad's Winchester 62, pump action, 14 round capacity tube feed.
    (Just glad it wasn't a single shot.)

Your second choice (Bolt action with the 7 round clip) would be a great "training" rifle for all of your boys.

But, I would graduate them to a 10/22 as the next one reached age of training.

5. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My dad has an old Remington feildmaster pump .22 that I love to its been a great gun. Funny part is I love my other .22's that I mentioned above but twisted metal's post got me to thinking about my first rifle which is by far the most treasured gun I own. Even more so than the beretta shotgun that my parents bought me when I shot competition trap in my teens and has shot 10's of thousands of shells thru it.

My first rifle is an old j.c.higgens model 31 semi auto .22 that my grandmother had given my grandfather on there first anniversary and my grandpa squirrel hunted with it from 1953 until the early 90's. This gun cost next to nothing new and to this day can be bought for around $100 if you find one. But this gun was given to me by my grandfather when I got old enough to start squirrel hunting with a rifle(had been hunting with a .410 for several years prior). I can still remember I had decided to save my money up to buy a 10/22 and while visiting my grandparents one weekend on there farm I told grandpa about my plan. He didn't say much as grandpa often didn't and walked to the house. I assumed he didn't approve of me having a rifle yet and went on playing in the yard like any 12 year old kid would do. A few minutes later grandpa came back out of the house holding that rifle. It was given to me under one stipulation and that was when I got older, if I got in a situation where I needed money and had to sell it that it would be sold back to him. Well needless to say that day never came and it never will if I have anything to say about it!

6. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

I like the Mossberg. For a cheaper rifle, they seem to be VERY good. I have a Mossberg 702 Plinkster with a 3-9x40 scope on it and the thing just put's bullets through the same hole at 50 yards. I ran a brick of ammo through it shooting at the sight in style targets. Only shooting at the 5 center bulls-eyes and eat all 5 "bulls-eyes" up with not a single shot outside of the ring.

So the Mossberg gets my vote.