KZ900 Really!!!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by larrylarry, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

I LUSTED over one of these. Truly a scary ride.

2. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am doing a minor restoration on a 1979 Suzuki GS1000E right now. All those 1K bikes of the late 70s and early 80s were just stupid fast in the day
    20170204_114314.jpg

Zstar likes this.
  3. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

My neighbor had one (CBX) and he could roast the tire from a stop for pretty much as long as he wanted. I was a kid so it seemed like a 1/2 mile lol!!! It was wicked! The other dude down the road had an H2 with expansion chamber. Sounded like a pissed off bumble bee when he was ripping on it. They used to have burn off contests it was great!

Zstar likes this.
  4. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

That GS is pretty cool!

5. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

I still have my MC license but haven't owned one for 25 yrs. If I bought anouther I'd buy a used 250 something to ride to our mail box.

Zstar likes this.
  6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Had a GPZ 750 Turbo for a summer back in '85. When the turbo spoiled up, hang on. Fun, but dangerous. As fast as the 1100, but with turbo lag. wish i had it now. They are EXPENSIVE for good ones.

7. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

I rode a friends H2 when new. You had to be really hanging on when you grabbed a handful of throttle. Fastest thing on the street then.

8. rockheadrocks

rockheadrocks Veteran Member

My family owned a Yamaha dealership for years. I remember the turbo bike wars. The Seca was probably the best behaved of the bunch, but no one wanted that. They wanted violent, scary bikes.

Come to think of it, the scariest bike I ever owned was a 1985 RZ500 (RD500 in the rest of the world). Pretty much a 1970s TZ GP chassis with a 500cc V4 2 stroke. Violent throttle response coupled with a torsionally flexible chassis. Boring it out 2 sizes, porting it, shaving the head, putting on bigger carbs and bigger rubber and a bigger rear sprocket took it from a pretty scary bike to downright terrifying. I loved it and miss it terribly.

Second scariest was a first generation VMax. Close third was a hopped up XS750 triple.

9. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Always wanted a RD400!!! I remember that flat track bike that Kenny Roberts had. Looked like a SX650 but I'm sure it wasn't

10. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I owned a RZ350 back in 1986, got a ton of tickets on that little 2 stroke plus wooped a bunch of big CC bikes arses!
    I sold it about a year later to pay some bills, the guy who bought it laid it down a week later at about 90mph and completely destroyed the bike :mad: