Lack of maintenance

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by gramps, Oct 26, 2020.

1. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I won't even lie, I have never checked my oil levels on anything. I do 15k intervals on my Scion tC and mustang, and I check it when I do the next oil change. motorcycles I do like 5k or 4-5 year intervals. but I use amsoil, the oil for cars is rated 25k, but filter is only rated 15k so thats why I even change it then. I use amsoil signature series, pretty good stuff.

Unless I have smoke, or its dripping under engine idk. never felt the need to check. I know how much I put in and runs great. lol I am lucky though, to have never experienced any failures but I trust my cars/bikes so until its time for servicing I expect them to have that much oil.

2. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

I don't specifically check the oil in between intervals either on my motorized stuff, but like you said, they don't burn or leak. I adhere to intervals pretty strictly otherwise.

FreedomPenguin likes this.
  3. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I do my own oil changes on everything, so I know exactly how much oil and what filter and the quality of oil I put in. I dont measure it coming out, but I do check dipstick beforehand and its pretty much at same level. I am strict about it too, other than pouring the quarts in, I have a little measuring cup for the exact remnant amount needed.

I did over fill once by like .2 of a quart on accident was looking at wrong number. I just cracked the oil drain bolt a hair and let it drip .2 of a quart into cup then sealed it up. I made a chart though to stop confusing numbers. let me get a pic.

mustang I did at 3k to amsoil sig from oem oil, and then changed 18k. but next oil im doing @ 30k so I can do even intervals, 30-45-60-85. makes it easier to remember.

got this little whiteboard hanging in garage.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  4. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You all blame only the end user here but some modern cars don’t even have a means to physically check the oil level (no dipstick). They rely entirely on a sensor and dash light. Of course, the end user does have to act on that dash light but they can’t be proactive.

5. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Why bother going through the expense of installing a dipstick in cars, when people don’t check damn thing anyway? I can see why they stopped...

6. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Knowing how to properly check to oil is a practice to know too.A million years ago when we lived in an apt in the city we lived on a pretty steep hill with on street parking,I watched the neighbor Jimmy check the oil on his chevy van facing down hill.Jimmy then put 2 quarts in then was walking back to the garage for more,I stepped out and intercepted him,we went to the Shakeys parking lot and checked.It was over an inch above full :eek:.He never knew it mattered???.
    I grew up in farm country and the neighbor kids/young men came over by my brother and dad to tinker/mess with their cars on saturday.One guy did an oil change,fired it up,my dad was walking about and told him to shut it down! my dad asked what did you do,-change the oil-how much did you put in? till it came out of the hole pointing at the valve cover:eek: I was like 6 then and remember the commotion but pop said they drained like 7 gallons of oil out of it.We had bulk oil in a 55 gallon drum with hand crank,guess he kept going back and back and back.True story not bs I was there for the hub bub and I've heard it not only from dad but bro and few guys still around [poor Russey got grief forever.]It was cool to see those late 60's 70's musclecars in the day as a kid.Later Steve!!

Zstar likes this.
  7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I don't check my oil either, but I only drive new cars. I have only checked oil on the old Camaros and mustangs because they leaked...in reality...new cars as long as they were properly filled and not leaking...don't need to be checked.

8. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

Well I check oil every now and then. On everything. Like every couple weeks. People need to RTFM! Had a friend's wife seize up the 350 in their conversion van years ago. Just put gas in and never had full service. Driving one day and it got slower and slower and she kept giving it more gas. Stopped in the middle of the expressway. Towed to dealer and there was NO OIL in the damn thing! One new crate 350 later...

Another stupid: Worked at Sears a LONG time ago and was walking near Customer Service one day and this guy was ranting at one of the girls about his "BRAND NEW DEFECTIVE" chainsaw. I walked over and asked if I could help him. Guy said: Who the @$%# are YOU! I wore jeans and T-shirts because I usually worked in the back and didn't wear the uniform. Pointed at my black badge on my shirt and said: "I work here".

He said : "This damn thing didn't last 5 minutes!" So I looked at it and pulled the cord. Seized solid. Opened the gas filler and sniffed. Hmmm. Asked how much 2-stroke oil he mixed with the gas and he screamed: "Can't you see this says "Self Oiler"?
    "Um, no sir. That means it self oils the chain (and he hadn't put chain oil in it either). Said: "Wait one minute." Went to the Manager and told him the story. Manager gave him a new saw. Now these were Stihl or Husqvarna at that time (Sears didn't MAKE anything).

Can't fix stupid...

Zstar likes this.
  9. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

^^^^and here's yer sign... Good God, that is scary.

10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Like the old Fram ads said, pay me now or pay me later. If you don't change the oil soon you will replace the engine sooner than you need to.