Leaf shackle bolt removal

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Allison Winn, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Allison Winn

Allison Winn Member

No not stuck. These were SPI epoxied individually then assembled a month later. You can see through the spaces between each

2. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

After re-installing, but BEFORE tightening any of the bolts, you need to lower the car onto the ground and possibly add weight in the trunk to make sure the full weight of the car is on the springs before tightening the bolts to avoid the dreaded 'ass in the air' look.

T/A Tom likes this.
  3. meanv8

meanv8 1980 Z/28

Mine were original and rusted as well. I had to cut mine with Sawzall. Cut off wheel may work also.

4. Allison Winn

Allison Winn Member

Thanks all - I am having them de arched

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    T/A Tom likes this.
  5. T/A Tom

T/A Tom Member

Nice work! I’m not sure how much arch they should have. Maybe you’ve already mentioned it but are they original/stock springs? I’ve had bad luck buying aftermarket springs that are supposed to be stock replacements, but aren’t even close. I haven’t replaced the bushings on my T/A yet but when I replaced the ones on my ‘67 Nova the shackle bolts could only be installed in one direction because of limited clearance, if that makes sense. Did you find the same thing on your Camaro?

6. Allison Winn

Allison Winn Member

Yes. Had to take off both shackle nuts. With too much arched springs, NEITHER bolt will come out. The gas tank is 1/2" from the lower. Take off both nuts then leave 1 shackle and take 1 shackle to get spring out.
    My originals have 9-5/8" free arch and that is way too much - the most liked replacements have 8-1/8" for stock ride height.

7. T/A Tom

T/A Tom Member

Wow, that seems like a lot of arch!! Do you know if they’re supposed to be stock GM springs. Again, sorry if I missed that somewhere in the thread. If you could post some before and after pictures of the car’s ride height that would be great. Should be quite a difference!

8. Allison Winn

Allison Winn Member

100% originals. This pic though without motor and trans and interior, only pic I have. But you get the idea - this is sitting with shocks topped out - undo the shocks and it goes up another inch 20201114_094625.jpg

9. K1ng0011

K1ng0011 Veteran Member

My leaf springs were original I could not remove my gas tank and had to sawzall the leaf springs shackle bolts. When I took off the ubolts on my passenger side leaf springs I found out they were all broken in half.

10. Allison Winn

Allison Winn Member

Wow. Bolts broken in 2 sounds scary
    Since that pic was taken I installed motor trans exhaust and gas tank and was still sitting topped out on shocks