Leaf Spring Colour?

l16pilot

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 13, 2004
Hurlock, MD, USA
I think it would be worth trying. My only concern is paint tends to look like paint regardless of color, but with that being said, Cerakote is a high solids paint and usually does not require many applications for coverage.

70lt1z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 3, 1999
Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
Just trying to decide on which color Cerakote to go with. I've looked at so many leaf springs over the last 24 hours that I can't tell what is the real color. The Socum Blue H-245 is supposed to be a substitute for the gun bluing that most folks do but I am leaning more towards the Sniper Grey H-234. Near as I can tell, the assembly line springs were bare, heat-treated steel which even the gun bluing probably isn't exactly correct but may be the closest (and is easy to do), but imparts very little corrosion protection without periodic oiling with Boeshield or similar, which would require disassembly of the spring pack.

I will add at this point that I'm kind of disappointed on the Eaton-Detroit Springs I got. They are not (and I suppose they do not claim) to be a concours restoration item. The leaf end mitres and the leaf thicknesses are not the same as OEM so that will have to be dealt with. The leaf plastic separators are also not the same and the clamp wraps are a bit different. I guess it's not really unexpected as they use the same hardware and steel across many applications. My plan is to use some hardware from my original springs and perhaps make some new leafs of correct thickness. Another time sink to overcome.

70lt1z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 3, 1999
Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
Actually, what has me more concerned at the moment is the difference in height of the Eaton springs versus the originals:

leaf spring height difference - Eaton-Originals.jpg

anybody else notice this?

I was afraid that my originals were sacked out, but it looks like it is the other way. Maybe best to just restore the originals but the bottom mini-leaf was broken in half across the bolt hole on the originals, hence the new ones. It is not even on the originals in the photo so the difference is even more than the photo shows. Maybe under load they will be the same?

Latest posts