Leaf spring set up questions

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by J. Chris Davis, Oct 31, 2013.

1. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 Veteran Member

I believe the Hotchkis springs are set up the same way with the second leaf, mine are in storage so I can't double check

2. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm using the Del-a-Lum shackle from global and a poly bushing in the front eye.
    Dave recommends to use rubber in the spring eye.
    I've tried both, with and without a sway bar. Dry and wet.
    Dry conditions I settled on poly and a sway bar.
    Ultimately the spherical bearing would be the best. I know Dave will say rubber will steer better than poly but...each car is different.
    Bottom line is your only as good as your tires.

3. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

Thanks. You guys have been giving me some great information here. After reading what all you guys have told me so far and with researching on my end still. I think I'm at this point. Either G.W. with Poly front, Del-Alum shackles or the PTFB comp kit with spherical front and I'm assuming these come with the poly shackles. I'm not sure which is the best route or should I do the PTFB comp kit and then replace the poly shackles with Del-Alum?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  4. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Chris, I will post a pic of our leaf springs a bit latter to show how the front leaf pack is on our leafs, much like the GW's the second leaf extends far forward to fight spring wrap up, and our have two clamps in the front section again to fight spring wrap up.

" The spherical bearing that can be installed in either the front eye or in the rear shackles to help the axle articlate "

Just need to clarify a bit, the spherical bearings are used in the front eye only, or in both the front eye and the shackles but not just in the shackles because a leaf spring is 2 parts in one, the front part of the leaf acts as a trailing arm (control arm) the rear of the spring is the spring part, so the front section needs to be made stiff to resist wrap up.

We have Delrin shackle bushings if you rearly want them but the poly shackle bushings work well and offer some compliance as the spring articulates.

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sorry Dave I posted that in haste, I didn't fully explain all of that...thanks for the clarification. "**GW has the articulating action built into one of their shackle kits**" where others use the spherical bearing up front to provide the articulation. Should use one or the other, not both on the same vehicle.

****EDIT***Well, I take that back about GW's shackle kit....I know they used to carry those, it had a GIF on the page showing the shackle letting the rear swivel......now all I see is the spherical bearing for the front eye in their site.

6. J. Chris Davis

Ok, sounds good on the pictures. Thanks again guys. You have been alot of help. I think I'm understanding a little better on this stuff.

7. 79T/Aman

as you can see in this picture the front half of the leaf springs have two clamps to stiffen the leaf pack so that the 3rd leaf also help fight spring wrap up and spread the force over a greater area then only one clamp does.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  8. J. Chris Davis

Thank you for the picture. I am liking your leafs over the rest of them I have seen. Do you usually have the comp kits in stock? I'm probably still a month out from being able to buy this stuff anyway.

9. 79T/Aman

yes we do have it in stock

10. J. Chris Davis

I forgot to ask. Is the GT kit the same as the Comp kit? Other than the comp kit has the spherical bearings.