Leaf Spring/Shock Bracket Cracked

Jun 15, 2016
Eden Prairie, MN
Hey guys, doing the leaf springs on my 79, man the other ones must have been the originals so rusted. anyway i have a hairline crack on both brackets where it bends up to go to the shock mount point, do i need to get replacement ones? could it continue to crack?

Attachments

• BhtgcWkSSKGymU%vvlnsOQ.jpg
    BhtgcWkSSKGymU%vvlnsOQ.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 271

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
I don't know if it will continue to crack but you could grind it out a bit and weld it up to be sure it doesn't crack any more.

budro6968

Veteran Member
Apr 2, 2016
Jax Florida
Drill a hole just ahead of the crack, V out the crack a little and weld it solid to the hole. Do both sides if you don't get good penetration. Grind it down paint should be good.

[email protected]

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 27, 2016
NY
If you just wanted to know if it is going to get worse, the answer depends on you, if you stop driving it hard, maybe, if it does break, it will cost a lot more then taking them off, and going to a local muffler shop and having them welded, after you drill the holes and grind in the V slot, so up to you. HAA HA

Camarolina

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 12, 2009
Unionville, NC
If it was me I would just run them and keep an eye on it. If you don't weld, or know someone who welds, acquiring different shock pads will be less hassle and probably no more expensive.
If it should ever fail I don't think it would be a big deal. That arm would most likely just bend down and your rear would bounce a bit like wore out shocks.
Just my opinion. Use your best judgement.

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
It makes me wonder if the car had air shocks sometime in its life. Air shocks can damage the shock mounts.
I would have it welded. Right now the cracks don't look too serious.