Leaf springs ordered

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Notazed, Apr 18, 2021.

1. biker

biker Veteran Member

It's not a big deal at all. I just carefully lifted it out of the axle clip, far enough to sneak the ubolt in. You can't use the axle clip o ceiling the ubolt is in. I may buzz a new clip onto the axle tube, but really, the steel lines are quite sturdy over the short span they have to cover.

2. Notazed

Notazed Member

Ok so that axle clip you just lay flat or you take it off completely?

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

I zipped them both off with the grinder. They interfere ever so slightly with the new U bolt. Not enough to matter, but it was easy to do while I was in there.

75Maro likes this.
  4. biker

biker Veteran Member

Update: everything in and back together. Without driving it, rear end is 26" from floor to mid rear fender lip. That is 1/4" higher than the original 40 yr old stock springs. But, thank is empty right now. Replaced feed and return fuel lines front to back as well with Right Stuff repop lines. Very nice fit.
    Height is what I expected, which I like, hoping that stiffer springs will improve handling and pinion control.
    Also installed the rear solid global west subframe/body bushings. I was waiting for those so i could put the subframe connectors in at the same time. The GW rear bushings are a bit shorter to accommodate the height of the SFC, so I added a thick washer to the bushing for now to compensate until I get time to install the SFC's. Old bushings were totally shot.
    Gonna drive it today, and put up some pics.

G72Zed and Bandit723 like this.
  5. biker

biker Veteran Member

As promised. Gave it a quick shine first. Now that it sits where I want, once I get the SFC's in, I will adjust the drivers door gap.
    20210912_125355.jpg 20210912_125339.jpg 20210912_125306.jpg 20210912_125225.jpg 20210912_125216.jpg

Dueling73s and MChamp like this.
  6. biker

biker Veteran Member

Ok. With half a tank of fuel and after a 20 mile ride, rear fender lips are at 25 7/8 off the ground without my generous bulk in the seat. Weighed the car at the scales prior to doing multiple celebratory donuts and it weighs 3540 pounds, with my 230 in the driver's seat. Well, I may be 220ish today.
    Ride is awesome. Much firmer, but not harsh. Zero wheelhop during burnouts.

7. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

Looking good!

8. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Looks very good biker, love the stance.

It's amazing what a quality set of springs & bushings can accomplish in the wheel hp and pinion walk dept. , and sometimes eliminate other additions (read - traction bars).

Did they come in black or grey, and if scratched, was it blue underneath.

Also, did you do the Herb Adams mod while in there ?

9. biker

biker Veteran Member

Thanks man! Definitely feels more linear now when I get on it. Effortless burnouts with no wheel hop. I drilled for the mods, but stuck with the stock holes for now just to do a more logical evaluation (one thing at a time). Springs were black, didn't notice any blue anywhere. I have a pic somewhere of the markings.

10. Notazed

Notazed Member

Ok cool, I think I might order 2 u bolts and swap out the t bolts.