left hander chassis UCAs

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by djkaplan, Aug 9, 2017.

1. djkaplan

djkaplan Veteran Member

2. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

When I look at these minimalist control arms I realize that my life depends on the quality of the welds. I'm sure they are as good as any. Those slotted shafts sure allow a lot of adjustment. I'll ask my front end guy what he would think of those slotted shafts when I see him today just out of curiosity. I think some guys would get lost with that much adjustment. The price is very reasonable. I hope they pay their welders well lol.

3. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

Those a-arms are for the G-body cars, 1978-88. Here is one for our cars: https://www.lefthanderchassis.com/v2a/16_viewproduct_group.asp?idgroup=2511938

I used these on my 81 CP car and they did work well. Now, the arms I linked use a ball joint with a larger bolt pattern, which is GM truck and full-size. I would check with them on which ball joint would work with your spindle. In my case I had to ream the spindle as the ball joint had a larger stud diameter. In circle track, these arms are expendable, so after contact or a wreck, they just replace them. Not sure how they will hold up on the street, but the seemed plenty strong.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Whats the point in using those on a street car, bling? I guess i am asking what are you trying to accomplish

5. djkaplan

djkaplan Veteran Member

They would allow more caster and they solid pivot so less deflection as well all for less then gw off set cross shafts.

6. djkaplan

djkaplan Veteran Member

Thank you. That's exactly what I was wondering they looked wrong but I couldn't quite tell why. Good to know it's because there gbody.

On your car did you go with the aluminum or steel cross shafts and what lenth? They seem to only have 1/4 longer or 1/2 inch shorter. (Stock arms are 9 1/4 I believe)

7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I dont see any real geometry notes on that page.

What defection, bushings?

8. djkaplan

djkaplan Veteran Member

I did the math myself. Based on the offset of the arm they will give 6.5 degrees of castor without shims on a car with stock hight ball joints. 6 with a .5in tall upper. Or 4 with .5 inch taller lower and upper ball joints.

There are no bushings hence no bushings deflection

9. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

I used the 8 3/4" ones with steel shafts.

10. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Lefthander is about 10 minutes up the road from me right now at work. They've been building championship winning short track cars for 30+ years. I wouldn't worry too much about their welds.