Legacy '76 camaro budget restoration

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Nasty76, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Nasty76

Nasty76 New Member

Thanks! Yeah I think so too, I've found already TONS of great tips for repairing, different techniques etc. awesome site. Yeah, I'll add pictures later just have few, must take more but I wait better weather now :)

2. Nasty76

Nasty76 New Member

But hey! Does anyone know the right color code for the "baby blue" interior color when I need to paint upper cowl panel part that sits inside so I need right paint, thanks

3. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome! As it's been said, you couldn't find a better bunch of guys and gals that are very willing to share whatever they have learned along the way, to help you get going on this.

I will give you a word of advice, and ask me how I learned this!!! I made the stupid mistake of jumping into the tearing up phase of this and neglected to become more organized, and I have a feeling as I start putting my 79z together, it will come back to haunt me! Please, whatever you do, document your car THROUGHLY before turning even one bolt! Pictures, pictures, and when in doubt, even MORE pictures, notes, etc. And just as important, no matter how trivial a bolt, washer, bracket, etc may seem, store them in whatever containers work for you but NO cardboard boxes (ask me how I know that!!) especially if you plan on a long term restoration. it's amazing how many of those bolts LOOK but are NOT the same! Separate them by assembly, and if possible, photograph each bolt, and make notes on the picture as to location, size, what it holds, and any particular details as to how the fastener/clip, whatever, fits.

I made the mistake of using the "I'm sure I will know what this is FIVE years from now....so I will just toss all of them into a coffee can approach" WRONG!!!

Again, welcome to the forum, please don't hesitate to ask for help. I can honestly tell you that I would not have gotten as far into my project if it hadn't been for these guys.

Oh, along with documentation, do a lot of research on your car to include VIN, trim tag, build sheet (if you can find it in one piece) so you can see what options were on the car (and you will be amazed how many "mods" previous owners have made). The trim tag will give you paint, interior details that you will need to buy paint, upholstery, etc.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  4. TX79Z28

If you removed the leaf spring, what is the rear end sitting on?

5. Nasty76

Nasty76 New Member

Thanks mate. I'm sorry to tell you that I have already teared the dash without documenting much. hehe

Hey. It sits on jack and jackstand plus frame is standing one one jackstand also. I forgot to type on that image that I removed gas tank also. So it's secured very well and is not stressing any part :bowtie:

6. Nasty76

Nasty76 New Member

Nice surprise for me today! Some company had ordered a full size container full of furnitures and decided to place it right behind my car!!! So I can't do anything today either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got to say this was the weirdest thing ever happened on my car repairing day...Let's all hope that nothing happens to the car when it takes off.

7. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Maybe you should get a Rottweiler dog and have it sitting on top of your car, growling menacingly and giving the workers as they come to remove the container the evil eye! They will be extremely careful removing it then I would think!

8. Nasty76

Nasty76 New Member

You are absolutely right, I should! Maybe ill buy few poles and rope and separate the car 6 feet away from these container placements.

here is pictures from repairings to come:

[​IMG]

That is drivers side rear frame rail where previous owner has made exellent repair, block of metal attached by sealer. It dropped off with screwdriver!!

[​IMG]

Not looking good... :( I guess I should be happy that passenger's side is like new.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  9. Nasty76

Nasty76 New Member

Hello, ok so today I finally could do something to the car. I removed the LH rear spring rear mount with a part of frame rail. Doesn't sound good huh? Here is couple pictures so you can tell yourself.

So here is the frame rail before I did anything to it:
    [​IMG]

and here afterwards:
    [​IMG]

It just came right out without power tools, was so crappy hanging. Makes me wonder how the hell that holded the weight of the car??

Another picture from behind the car:
    [​IMG]

So what should I do to fix it? any suggestions? I wouldn't like to buy a new frame rail.

10. TX79Z28

if it were ME, I would look for a new frame rail (well both, actually). I am sure someone can fabricate/weld the rest, but I don't know I would trust that to such a critical component. Just my .02