Length of horn contact pin

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 74Z28GC3, Oct 13, 2021.

1. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Does anyone know what the length of the. horn contact pin suppose to be for a 74 Z28? I am putting in a missing contact pin in my column and new horn relay. The new pin is 1 inch long. I am having a problem with the continuous blowing of the horn when I install my relay. I have cut down the pin to 3/4 inch per instructions that were in the kit and it still blows continuous when I plug in the relay. Does anyone know what I need to do to solve my issues?

2. Ricks72Z28

Ricks72Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds like you maybe are still grounding out….

3. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Does anyone know what the length of the horn contact pin suppose to be for a 74 Z28? I am putting in a missing contact pin kit in my column and a new horn relay due to bad one not working. The new pin is 1 inch long. I am having a problem with the continuous blowing of the horn when I install my relay. I have cut down the pin to 3/4 inch per instructions that were in the kit and it still blows continuous when I plug in the relay. Does anyone know what I need to do to solve my issues?

4. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Ok, What would cause the grounding out Rick?

5. Ricks72Z28

Ricks72Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Did you install the insulator you were looking for?

6. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

You stated that you are putting in a missing contact pin and new relay and I have to ask, could the "new" relay be an issue with maybe it being possibly defective and it's internal contacts being closed to where when it is plugged in battery voltage is sent out to the horn(s) ?.

While what you have is not the same relay as what I have on my 68 Chevy II Nova, I had the horn activation wire disconnected from the relay and if the terminals on the underside of the relay were moved just right, the horn would sound.

I would like to think that a "new" parts would not be defective but that s not always the case sometimes.

Jim

7. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Threads merged.

8. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Yes, i just put back in my broken plastic insulator.

9. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

I noticed a few days ago after installing my missing contact pin kit that I was not getting anything to my horn for it to blow. I checked my horn relay and it was warm and smelled bad. That is why I replaced my horn relay. After installing a new horn relay and cutting my new contact pin to 3/4 inch and installing it, then my horn blows continuous. The new horn relay did make it blow from the horn button area that it was not doing before. Please advise of what I need to check again. Thanks to all who have posted replies so far to assist me.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

There is a metal ring that snaps up and down to complete the ground contact. I have seen with the aftermarket ones sometimes they do not snap back into the open position.
    20211014_150410.jpg