Lets Not Forget Today.....

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Dave Nelson, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

dave@ztech, La.Z8, Zstar and 5 others like this.
  2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My father was in the beach commandos for a time and if he hadn't returned to general service before D-Day, he would have been amongst the first on the beach, guiding the landing craft in. The unit he was in suffered 98% casualties on D-Day. My thoughts to all those who went through the horrors of war.

Chuck71RS and Zstar like this.
  3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Every time I see this I think there had to be a better way. Those guys waded into a slaughter. Took some real guts to do what they did, never happen in today's world.

Thanks for posting, we need to remember this.

4. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

A close friend of the family was on Omaha beach that day,as either a second wave or later arrival [ I was a kid as they told these stories.] He told of crawling over dead fellow soldiers floating at the shore just trying to stay alive,he carried lead in him from there until the day he died.This isn't BS,the stories were somber and sad,not bellowing "war stories" which are usually B.S.told by someone who sat stateside knitting or such. Lots to handle for an 18-20 year old,makes me think about the 18-20 year olds protesting today doing such patriotic deeds :brightide.
    Times don't change,many of those stories were told while the country was going thru protests over the war in SE Asia.:( Beards,beads and hippies they used to say. RIP "uncle" Jack.Your generation was truly one of the greatest-I'm thinking of you and you fellow brothers today.Steve!

Da-bigguy, dave@ztech, La.Z8 and 2 others like this.
  5. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

I never tire of watching the American Heros Channel, especially the WWII shows. Those guys had brass balls which they needed to face the horrors of the entire conflict. The Marines in the Pacific were incredible!. The 8th Air Force in Europe lost more aircrew members than all the Marines in the Pacific. Very sad statistic.

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just absolutely sad that so much history is being watered down, and doomed to history.

Da-bigguy and Dave Nelson like this.
  7. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Years ago, we had a guy who watched the salvage yard after hours. I made the mistake of asking him what he did in the war. He went up the cliffs of Normandy and went most of the way across Europe. Some of the stories he told made me want to pucker up. He basically got out of the Army and crawled into a bottle afterward.

8. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

thankyou for posting that!