Let's talk shop

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 76z28, Dec 15, 2020.

1. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

So in the planning stages of redoing our backyard/installing a shed/shop. My wife wants a 12x10 shed, I want a 20x18 shop.. I know differing opinion obviously. Our backyard is plenty big for a 20x20 shop in which I will use to work and store my car. I currently just have a 2 car garage that is a little tight due to wife "needing to park inside" and other stuff that should be stored in the shed.

The shop? I plan on having rafters so I can also store stuff up above that we don't need in the actual garage.

I know in this case, bigger is always better but I would like to keep it budget friendly and concrete and wood isn't cheap!

2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Exactly why you should get the footprint you want on the first go. Should you decide to add more concrete later, it will cost substantially more vs getting what you want while the truck is there initially.

You're talking a couple more hundred dollars NOW vs several hundred more dollars to add it later...for the same area of concrete.

3. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

We have a 2 car garage on the house, a 10 x 12 barn style outbuilding for the riding mower weed eater and all other yard tools. Then a 24 x 32 Morten building for my shop. You can never have enough room in your shop. It can get small real fast if you are going to work on your Camaro and store yard tools in a 20 x 20 shop. Just my opinion. Maybe get the out building and your shop if you can swing the expense.

4. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

As stated by both above. It’s easier to make it larger at the start and, what space you have will fill up quickly. You don’t want to step back when it’s all finished and realize it’s to small. At that point it’s to late.

La.Z8 and 70-camaro like this.
  5. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

I will say the camaro is -mostly- done mostly just future wants will be done to it.

As for space, I understand going bigger would be nice, but I am not sure I can swing an even larger building. I will have a smaller shed for all garden/outside equipment.

The shop will be strictly for car parts/project related stuff.

I do have the main garage attached to the house still that I can always utilize too.

I will look at more sizes. Current garage is 24x22; however, I have to have room for a waterheater, washer/dryer, and a few other things that hinders my ability to utilize the entire space(it is a pull through so one wall has to be clear). Honestly if I had another place that was the same size without all that stuff, it would be awesome.

6. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

Well, if her car will not fit in a 12x10, then do the 20x20.
    All kidding aside do the 20x20 shop if funds permit

7. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

would a metal building be cheaper to put up vs wood? if so get a bigger metal building. jim

8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Build with a tall steep slope roof. Put a floor on the on the truss for storage, pull down ladder, can really get a lot of stuff up there.

76z28 likes this.
  9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

1. Biggest you can do. No one says gee I wish it was smaller
    2. Tall enough for a lift, and concrete as well.

10. xten

xten Veteran Member

Check building codes if you haven't already for distance to property lines and other structures. Some of the restrictions may be overcome with a variance.
    Build as big as you can. They're never big enough.
    I have a large 2 car (with lift) and two large storage rooms at home, an 18x12 shed, and a 4,000 sq ft shop. All full. Still not big enough. Gonna start pitching this spring. Stuff you retain is directly proportional to the space you have to store it.

Dave Nelson and Canadian Barton like this.