Let's talk surround sound speakers

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Rick WI, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

I'm setting up a new surround sound system for a lake house we bought and getting to the point in the near future of needing to buy 5 or 7 channel speakers, the Harmon Kardon amp I have (75 watts per channel) can handle either setup.

I'm looking for a set of speakers in the up to $1000 range. One think I'd like to consider is mounting the rears in the ceiling flush but I don't know enough about what is available to know if flush mounts are any good. The fronts and center would be hung from the ceiling and I'd like something small, the smaller the better. If I go with 7 channel the sides would also be nice to have mounted in the ceiling but potentially could be mounted high up the wall as I have ceiling access down into the wall for the wiring.

Sub location is not a problem.

I'm not a Bose person so not interested in that option at all. In my shop I have a set of La Scallia Klipsh and Cornwalls hooked to a big Yamaha amp, if that gives you a feel for how I like to play my music and the sound I like.

2. Nitroexpress

Nitroexpress Veteran Member

B & W & Definitive technology are top brands. I've got Paradigm :) & I love them! Tons of new options for flush mount speakers on the market now,Grab a home theater review(buyers guide is on the stands now) or stero review Mag tons of info in there.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  3. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Ah, looked a month or so ago for the HTBG review and didn't see it on the stands.

Thanks

4. 67lemanster

67lemanster Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i have energy speakers and love them. i also have cieling speakers for my rears and they work great. they are not top of the line but a good $300 pair. its been my experience that the sound is just a passing sound if you will. spend the money on center and the 2 fronts. wish i could help more

5. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

That's my thought as well 67, spend the money on the fronts and center. Who's ceiling mounts did you go with?

6. 67lemanster

let me check. i know i have a pair of polks in my bedroom my living rooms are more fru-fru lol lol lol i will post back this evening when i go home.

however when i listen to music on 5 channel stereo the old polks sound pretty good. i have smaller bookshelf engerys in my bedroom.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  7. RaycerX81

RaycerX81 Veteran Member

I heard that new Bose home theater system. I have to say that that system is the best sound system I have heard. I just dont have 3k to spend on it.

8. Kirk

Kirk Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You might want to check out Axiom speakers - a Canadian company like Paradigm. They only sell direct, but they seem to have a good following and get good ratings. I don't have any of their stuff yet, but I'm looking to replace my surrounds and I will be picking up a pair of their QS4 v2's.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/

9. sin

sin Veteran Member

http://www.htd.com/

small unheard of company. thier level 2 sound great im listining to danzig on them right now. cant say about thier in wall speakers but have heard good things.

before you consider them a no name junk brand do a search online and at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

10. 67lemanster