Limited Slip Clutches Grinding

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by 70RS350, Aug 13, 2012.

1. 70RS350

70RS350 Member

I put a new Yukon Duragrip in my 8.2" ten bolt. Initial installation was quiet for probably the first 100 or so miles with Lucas synthetic gear oil with posi additive. Then the clutches started grinding on slow tight corners so I removed a bit of fluid and added a friction modifier from the parts store. This made no improvement so I pulled the cover and drained all the fluid. I replaced with GM gear oil and one bottle of GM friction modifier drove probably 20 miles or so and did figure 8's with no improvements. I then added one more bottle of GM friction modifier and repeated the driving and figure 8's with still no improvements. Does anybody have any suggestions or have I just not given it enough time/milage to work in yet. Noise is to the point it's embarrassing driving around town. Thanks for any input.

2. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

I haven't seen one that caused that much trouble. The only thing that I can think of would be to use the Ford oil additive. The clutches in the Yukon Dura Grip are the same as the Ford Trac Lock, so the Ford additive might work better. Give it a little more time and see if it gets any better.

3. 70RS350

70RS350 Member

I'll give it it little more time and then definately try the Ford additive. How much is too much driving with them grinding? I don't want to ruin them forever. Is there anything else I could have messed up during the install that would cause the grinding/popping when turning but not going straight that I could check when I drain it again?

4. big gear head

I don't know of anything. Look for metal and stuff in the oil. I can't think of anything else right now.

5. 70RS350

70RS350 Member

Thanks BGH I'll drive it a few more miles and if it doesn't quit I'll drain it and try the Ford additive. I really appreciate your time and effort on this board. I will post back the results.

6. bigblockbird75

bigblockbird75 Veteran Member

Does it sound like a metal on metal grinding like brakes or more of a moan like a creaking door? Did you read the instructions? I've installed a few Auburn units at work(not my choice) and they say to not use synthetic oils. First one I did with synthetic because synthetic is better....came back with the clutches making noise. I cleaned the rear out, put conventional gear lube in and a bottle of amsoil additive and it was quiet before i backed it out of the shop.

7. 70RS350

70RS350 Member

sounds more like a door creeking than metal on metal. I didn't see anything in the directions so I started with synthetic oil with the modifier. I then went to conventional gm oil and gm modifier. No change between the two that I can tell.

8. big gear head

Could it be a spring bushing or shackle? Maybe some part of the suspension binding up when you turn? Now that both wheels are pulling it could have caused the suspension to be under more stress when you turn.

9. 70RS350

70RS350 Member

That's a good thought BGH. I'll try and have someone else drive and see if I can pinpoint it closer. I've only ever heard it from the driver's seat. I did put new springs and shackles in when I redid the rearend, maybe something isn't quite right there.