limited slip differential question

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by doug mundahl, Oct 18, 2020.

1. doug mundahl

doug mundahl Member

ive got a 8 1/2 inch 10 bolt goverened limited slip out of a 1997 tahoe it has 31 splines for the axle shafts, my 70 car that i would like to put it in has 28 spline axles, is it possible or been done to change the inner gears in the carrier to 28 splines or should i just get a new carrier? wonder if anyone would make the 2 gears?

2. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

Those flyweight gov locks were pretty weak. Blew a few in my blazer until I switched to a std limited slip

3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I have a 8.5 10 bolt in my 1979 Z-28 with a supercharged small block .It better to run a 30 spline or better axles in your car they are stronger than the 28 spline ones . Its one of those pay me now and or pay me later type thing .And not be stranded on the side of the road.

4. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

The Governor Lock from the Tahoe is no good for a performance car. Also, it's 30 splines, not 31. I woiuld recommend a Eaton Posi or a Eaton Truetac. Upgrade the axles to 30 spline from Moser or Dutchman at the same time.

5. doug mundahl

doug mundahl Member

when i was counting splines i didnt have my glasses and after i got to 17 counting i got confused everytime. was using my fingers and toes to keep track.;)

6. doug mundahl

doug mundahl Member

eaton offers true trac, limited slip, and detroit locker, for a street car is there a preference for 1 of the 3?

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

For a streetcar, limited-slip is the best. Detroit Lockers are a very old design and not very pleasant to drive.
    True-Trac is a type of limited-slip

8. doug mundahl

doug mundahl Member

9. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

The true trac is a helical gear diff- used commonly on newer camaros (my 2001 SS had one). They tend to be noisy but do a good job of providing traction to both wheels. BUT, SLP recommended ordering the standard clutch style diff option as it was much stronger if I was planning to Run the car hard. IMO, stay away from the true trac and put a quality clutch type diff and you’ll get the best reliability and stregnth.

10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Eaton Limited slip posi… And don't look back.
    (Unless you want to admire the pair of tire stripes on the pavement. ;) )

pointman likes this.