Little kids in 2nd Gen Camaros

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by notstock78, Jun 8, 2021.

1. CT72

CT72 New Member

MORRIS makes lap/shoulder kits at install fairly easy and look pretty good. They have many different kits for various classic cars. My daughter has gone through the car seat stages (rear facing, forward facing, booster seat) and it worked well in my 70 RS.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  2. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a full set of Morris belts in my car. I wanted the rears to match the front, and spending a lil extra for shoulder harness was a no brainer to me. I rode in the back of my Camaro as a kid, and my family/ kids ride often.
    When my kiddos were rear facing, (one at a time) I put the rear facing seat up front. As mentioned, the front seat issue was only for air bags. No way you will fit today's car seats in the back unless they're the only passenger. I couldn't even put rear facing car seats in my 2003 Jetta station wagon, they've changed THAT MUCH.
    In my 71, I took the seat bottoms out, so they're not sitting sky high, and once buckled in, they seem much more secure.

My biggest concern, if you have a roll bar or cage, make sure no ones head could potentially contact any bars in any direction. Bars have killed many times, especially side impact, when someone's noggin hit the bar.
    Since seeing that, I warn anyone that has a cage, pad it, or design it out of reach of noggins. Shoulder belts reduce that contortion considerably.

3. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

The smallest child I've had in my '74 Camaro is my 8 y/o grandson and all he needed was his booster seat. His 5 y/o sister hasn't been in it yet, but this year she may want to. I'll have to check with her parents (son & daughter in law) what's required. She may now be also Ok with a booster seat.

4. notstock78

notstock78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks everyone. I am going to put in some shoulder harnesses in the back seats for the kids and replace the original belts up front as well.

5. Patstuff28

Patstuff28 Veteran Member

I work in a large distribution centre and see lots of different makes and models of car seats pass through. I always get a kick out of reading the specifications on the cartons. Some of these 3 in 1 seats are for children 10 lbs to 125lbs!