LM7 swap

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
Looking into using the Muncie I found this.
Looks like I'll need to go to a hydraulic clutch.Can I use the fly wheel from my BBC?

https://shiftsst.com/silver-sport-t...sion-kit.html?find=chevrolet-camaro-1973-7869

Take a look at this. Summit sells it too. https://sdparts.com/i-24074894-sdpc-sdcb-clutch-pivot-ball-bracket-for-gm-cars-and-trucks.html

I would think you will want to use a LS style clutch, but seems maybe not.
https://www.classicindustries.com/p...3pXo_jjspVdbYfeMWCBCubIASdSJqrEBoCiY4QAvD_BwE

ErikNORCAL

Veteran Member
Aug 6, 2003
now in VA
Just a suggestion:
-If you are looking at buying a new harness, other supporting hard parts, and reprogramming your ecm, might want to look at the new edelbrock efi harness.
-The mechanical clutch can be done, believe member 73 Z did it. Novak engineering has a ton of info on how to select the throw out bearing and set up the linkage. That is the original path I intended to take but a hydraulic clutch is sooo nice.
-car shop inc had the 1” set back plates for a lot less and have seen speed engineering full length headers mentioned on here.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
The Holley systems and others can be easily substitutes for harnesses and controllers. It makes it easy, but there is something about the OE system that offers you more. I hate the single O2 on the Holley system.

BigBlock73

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 10, 2002
Accord,New York
After looking into the hydraulic clutch,I’m going to go to that even if I don’t do the swap.
There’s so much info my head is swimming.
I don’t want to waste the money by having to do something twice.
I’ll need to sell my BBC to fund this project and know that will be an issue with the LS craze

Last edited:

ErikNORCAL

Veteran Member
Aug 6, 2003
now in VA
The Holley systems and others can be easily substitutes for harnesses and controllers. It makes it easy, but there is something about the OE system that offers you more. I hate the single O2 on the Holley system.

well, why don’t you let the guy decide what he’d like

BigBlock73

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 10, 2002
Accord,New York
I was hoping to find a step by step path to this swap but it doesn’t seam to be that easy. I appreciate all the advice and realize that I need to do much more research.
I’ll do more searching and ask a lot more questions.

SPG

Bumblebee Builder
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2018
Sacramento
no project is 100% the same due to how old these things are. You're bound to find some surprises you don't find on other cars.
A step by step probably doesn't exist, but there are tons of articles about general information that you'll need to make this happen.
Need an oil pan, accessory drive that fits, new electronics, an entirely new wiring harness for your car (because using the stock one would be idiotic) need to revamp your fuel system, should probably think about updating the suspension, at minimum replace all bushings if springs aren't worn out. Need to think about cooling, plenty of drop in radiators. Do you want AC? gotta consider that as well. Everyone will have different opinions on what is best, some like one peoples products, others hate them. There are lots of projects on this forum where people have thrown all sorts of motors in their car, just gotta know how to use google.

The biggest thing that will bite you in the ass will be all the little things like hoses, and fittings. They're one of the few things I haven't put on my spreadsheet as thats one of those things you kind of figure out after everything is put in it's place.