Lock cylinder gone

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by gg59c1, Feb 13, 2016.

1. gg59c1

gg59c1 Veteran Member

Whats the best way to fix the door lock cylinder hole? My Z had the door lock cylinder popped out and was fixed with filler, like litterl filler over and into the hole no more lock cylinder. I would like to have a key and working lock again. Should I re skin or just cut a square out from a junkyard door and have my sheet metal repaired? Any threads on doing a repair to the lock hole?

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's tough to get the clip on a lock if the panel is too thick because of filler in that area.

If you knew how much damage was done to the sheet metal and had any idea of the depth of filler in that area... I would try to salvage the door skin if the rest of it is good.

Patching the area will be easier than replacing the whole skin, IMO.
    It really depends on the condition of the rest of the door.

3. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

My paint supply store used to sell a repair piece for the lock hole. I used to use them a lot for repairing doors that thieves popped the locks out of. Not sure if there still made since new cars have the locks in the handle. I'll have to check on Monday

4. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Did they weld in a patch to fill the hole, or did they just bondo the hole. If it was just filled with plastic body filler clean out the hole and mount a new lock cylinder. If it was welded up patching in a new piece will be best if the rest of the skin is good.

5. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

what bodyman bill said. someone makes patch panels with the correct pattern to fit the lock cylinder- I just don't recall who.

6. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would knock out the filler first and see how much damage there is. I repair a lock cylinder hole on a trunk lid by pushing the bent sheet metal back into place. Hopefully, that's all you will need to do.

7. gg59c1

gg59c1 Veteran Member

Funny I thought for sure I saw lock hole patch panels back in the day. Maybe in NPD or Classic Camaro catalogs. Door is in good shape other than the hole missing. Looks to be just filler no patch welded.