Locked my keys in truck!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ctchap70, Aug 30, 2013.

1. HurtHorseZ28

HurtHorseZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If it has keyless entry, just buy another remote and program it. Has to be much cheaper than a key. That is what I did with our one car. Didn't have a spare, but bought a remote off ebay and programmed it.

2. azkeebler

azkeebler Veteran Member

I was a locksmith that did calls for AAA, cross-country motor club,GM roadside, All the local rental cars and many other major companies for many years.I've heard some amazing stories and excuses of lost keys!

The rental companies and GM roadside almost always a had a key code for us. 99% of the time, they were good codes.

Most of the time, the dealer will only cut keys for original owner with title in hand or I.D. matching what is in their updated system. General rule for most is possession is 9/10 law.

Our local emergency agencies gave up opening cars unless it was life-threatening due to broken linkages and such from their attempts.

Many owners were concerned on having spare keys hidden on their cars and afraid of someone finding them. Many were retired as it was a retirement community and didn't want to crawl on the ground. My advice for a hiding place was behind a hubcap.

With the design of newer car keys, such as a ten-cut GM, only a portion of the key (5 or 6 cuts) are used for the door locks. Often, I'd cut a spare key that would only open the door to hide on the car for entry purpose only.

If the car is Gm and has PK3 stamped on the blade or is a known transponder key, cutting the entire key onto a none transponder key will be safe to hide on the car as it will not have the transponder embedded to enable ignition. Of course, higher end cars with expensive sidewinder keys, it isn't practical to cut half a key.

Nowadays, any On-Star equipped and activatedvehicle can be opened from a call by the owner.

3. Chevy 350

Chevy 350 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Subscribe to onstar today. Call them tomorrow

4. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Doesn't help ya now but I keep a spare door only key hanging in tbe bed of the truck after doing this all the time.

5. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have gone to a number of GM vehicles the onstar was active on and the system failed for whatever reason

While I was loading up my car with groceries in (I think) MD, A cop driving by saw my big easy and stopped to have a chat with me. Something about needing to register burglary tools with the state which MA does not do. What a PITA that was. Mechanics are not allowed to carry there for the record.

6. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

Hide a key, the wire trick mentioned above or behind the license plate. Almost any place u go would let u borrow a screwdriver or if its late/ur desperate a coin would work. just gotta match the unlock key size with some washers to make the plate look even on both sides or a good thief would be able to see a differance.

7. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

I just personally dont trust the magnets on the hide a key

8. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

I worked for a towing/recovery business for a few years. We were on the county, city, state patrol, AAA, and a few other lists to respond to various disabled vehicles ranging from dead batteries, keys locked in vehicles, collisions and even some repo's for a couple of local used car dealers.

I had access to all types of tools to unlock vehicle doors. The bladder/rod tool (as Volsfan mentioned) was probably my 'go-to' tool for quick access.

And yes, there are close similarities in GM's door lock cylinders. I had somehow managed to lock my keys in my truck at work. I went down to our fleet maintenance shop since we have a lot of S10s, Astro Vans, and other GM light duty vehicles. I told the shop foreman my problem and asked permission to borrow and handful of keys that fit S10 pickups. The 3rd key I tried opened my door like it was made for it. My truck is a '02 Silverado.

My cousin's '76 Corvette door key will open my '79 Camaro door. But my Camaro key won't open his Vette door. Just happens to be close enough in some instances.