Long tube frame mount tranny coolers

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by chevysrule454, May 16, 2011.

1. Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2011
  2. doc221978

doc221978 Veteran Member

It seems like it wouldn't get enough airflow. On my '78 F150 I am using an old AC evaporator. It keeps the C6 cool with no problems at all. Just an idea, but it works.

3. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Definitely not enough air flow. That might be OK for a T-Bucket or other hotrod roadster that doesn't weigh all that much. For a 3300lbs + car with that much stall.....I wouldn't bother. You need a cooler in front of the radiator so it gets all the air it can.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

5. camaro19791000

camaro19791000 Veteran Member

a similar cooler came out on spike tv's extreme 4x4 and they "so possibly" ran it on a rock crawler without any over heating issues

6. The problem with that cenario is in rockcrawling as a rule uses the lowest stall available to minimise slip and consequently keep heat down and work the engine in its lowest tourque band. That type of cooler was probubly enough to keep that tranny cool. My problem is I need enough cooling to keep a 3700 stall on the street, cool.

7. If I went with something like this here cooler,would I need a small fan as well?I dont want to be experimenting when im on the road ,Id rather figure it all out on paper first.I cant afford any mistakes.

8. Twisted_Metal

Mine is mounted in front of my radiator... No additional fan.
    I used spacers to set it off the back side of the horizontal bar between the bumper and radiator support. (78-81 front end)

9. Are u runnin a high stall as well?

10. Twisted_Metal

Not a very good comparison to my car.
    I'm running a higher stall than stock (22-2400) and cruising at far below stall speed. (200-4R, Lock-up converter)

Using an even larger cooler won't hurt anything.
    My suggestion.... See what you have for space to mount it and get the biggest one which fits. (Hayden, plate style)