Look at my cylinder heads!

Chintzel

Veteran Member
Jul 2, 2005
NY, NY , USA
I guess it could be a flaw but up close it looks like a hastily done job with a grinder. I guess I have to decide if they need replacement.

no-nitro

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 17, 2005
Ofallon MO
Its Just Not An Easy Fix Money Wise, But If It Was Me I Would Try To Come Up With Something New Or Good Used Set. Not Sure If Those Could Be Fixed Or Not. It Might Cost You Just As Much To Fix Them Than It Would Be To Find A Good Used Set Off Someone.

79camaro2001

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 4, 2003
Monroeville, PA
I'm looking at it and thinking is it really a problem?

I mean if it's running fine as it and it's not into a port or a mating surface then why not run them?

I know down the road it might crack faster from heat and stress, but if it's running fine right now it should be good until he's ready to upgrade.

hhott71

R.I.P 11/19/18
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 30, 2001
Joplin Mo. 64801
pdq67 said:
Did somebody at sometime try to de-burr the casting oil drain-back holes at one time?

pdq67

That is what I was wondering.
Its been a long while since I've paid attention to a tow truck engine (BBC) :D

79camaro2001

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 4, 2003
Monroeville, PA
Chintzel said:
What is casting flash?

Heads are usually casted at the factory, an to do it they use sand to make the mold pretty much.

When they make the mold, sometime it has imperfections in it and we call it casting flash cause it's a thin piece of the metal hanging off the actual part.

Usually the machining process gets rid of most if it, but there's some that they just leave in place cause it cost more to take the time and grind it out.

Chintzel

Veteran Member
Jul 2, 2005
NY, NY , USA
Hmmm. Again, no idea. I got the car three years ago and never had a reason to pull off the valve covers - it could have been an original flaw that just wore through or maybe some bizarre mod that someone in the past made. I guess for now, I will just leave things as they are as long as it runs well - but keep my eye out for some backup heads which I am sure it will need eventually. Thanks for the replies!