Looking for 70-72 4 speed z28

Rosster

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2020
As a follow up, the engine damage was relegated to a few bent pushrods and likely valves (I replaced them all with manley SS new ones). Engine had never been apart. Here’s what the timing chain looked like:

3C27B053-F50E-4F14-A3BB-AFFC02130950.jpeg

Geardog

Jan 15, 2022
MA
quite by accident. I’d set my sights on a 70 only z28, 4 speed a must and black interior. I was hoping to find a finished or older restored car as sales tax and registration here in calif is stupid high. I’d been looking for a year mostly western 1/2 of the US with little luck. I was looking for a car that was as close to stock as possible as parts are hard to find and expensive. Then I expanded my search recognizing east coast cars are more often than not rust buckets.

Around the same time I was looking a guy posted he was looking for almost the same car as me back on the east coast but with no budget specified in his post. I was pretty familiar with pricing on the west coast but not so much as to east coast (which is normally cheaper). I sent him a text asking what pricing should be expected back there (I’m in San Francisco bay area). He mentioned that he already has a line on a car he was going to buy but had a 70 z28 in his garage his dad and him were going to fix up but decided to buy one completed. It had been sitting 18 years in his garage, was 99% original (except for paint), and that the motor was locked up. He sent me pics, copies of the documentation and discussed pricing which was reasonable for what he had.

I flew out a few weeks later with my son in law and the cash and did a very thorough inspection using a checklist I’d made up and all looked great. Boroscoped the cylinders and figured it has a slipped timing chain that happened when he turned the car off. The guy turned out to be a great guy and the car he bought was stunning! We still stay in touch and he wants to come out when the restoration is completed and ride in it.

to say I got lucky was an understatement!

That is quite the story. California, I hear, is an expensive place to live. Moreso then even Massachusetts. Still, I'd trade and would try out Cali :)
What a find, and yes, Salt is not great in Northeast. Like you I tend to go west. Dis you tow, or ship it back. Where was it posted, as I follow all the usual online locations.

Rosster

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2020
That is quite the story. California, I hear, is an expensive place to live. Moreso then even Massachusetts. Still, I'd trade and would try out Cali :)
What a find, and yes, Salt is not great in Northeast. Like you I tend to go west. Dis you tow, or ship it back. Where was it posted, as I follow all the usual online locations.
I used reliable to ship it. I made arrangements with the seller that they would come in two weeks. 3 days later he calls me and said my car is on it’s way and sends me pics and video. The seller was a super guy and went home from work to help load it up. Just the best!

Turns out they had one spot left an a carrier that was going to a place 30 miles from my house. Without naming names, the other car left on the carrier car was a stunning like new, fully restored 69 z28. It was going to “some old local pro baseball player” who is notorious for collecting musclecars…..wonder who?hehe

Last edited:

Geardog

Jan 15, 2022
MA
I used reliable to ship it. I made arrangements with the seller that they would come in two weeks. 3 days later he calls me and said my car is on it’s way and sends me pics and video. The seller was a super guy and went home from work to help load it up. Just the best!

Turns out they had one spot left an a carrier that was going to a place 30 miles from my house. Without naming names, the car was a stunning like new, fully restored 69 z28. It was going to “some old local baseball player” who is notorious for collecting musclecars…..

What an awesome experience

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada

Turns out they had one spot left an a carrier that was going to a place 30 miles from my house. Without naming names, the other car left on the carrier car was a stunning like new, fully restored 69 z28. It was going to “some old local pro baseball player” who is notorious for collecting musclecars…..wonder who?hehe
I thought he was in jail. :eek: